Quiz

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by shambles, Jun 28, 2007.

1. shambles

shambles Guest

The Boss of the local computer shop goes off shopping for Graphics cards, leaving his assistant in charge of the shop. As he leaves, he tells the assistant that there is a sale PC in the window which has just had another price reduction made on it. It is now only £100.00, instead of the £150.00 it says on the price sticker (Bargain! How do they manage to sell them so cheaply?). Anyway, off he goes to buy some more stock...

An hour later, three Guys come into the shop. ‘We’ve clubbed together to buy the PC in the window’ they say. ‘£50.00 each – that’s £150.00...’ and they each push a £50.00 note towards the assistant. The assistant thinks ‘I can make some more money here for the Boss. He’ll be really pleased’ and takes the £150.00 and puts it in the till. The three guys leave with the PC.

Just then the Boss comes back, passing the three guys just outside the shop. ‘You sold the PC then?’ ‘Yes’ replies the assistant ‘I got £150.00 for it!’ The Boss, instead of being pleased, is furious and opens the till. ‘Here – take this £50 note and go and give it back to them – they’re obviously not wealthy and don’t need us ripping them off’ and he gives the assistant the £50.00 he overcharged them. The assistant leaves and chases after the guys with the computer....

On his way up the street, the assistant realises he can make some money for himself. He has £30.00 in his pocket in the form of three £10.00 notes, the remains of his pitiful wage, so when he catches up with the guys with the computer he says ‘I’m really sorry, I made a mistake and overcharged you £30.00 – here it is’ and gives them each a £10.00 note, £30.00 in total, keeping the £50.00 note in his pocket, effectively making £20.00 for himself in the transaction....

Let’s summarise a minute...

The guys have paid £50.00 each and each had £10.00 back. That’s £40.00 + £40.00 + £40.00 = £120.00 paid by the three guys.
    The assistant has kept £20.00 for himself, which he has effectively stolen.
    £120 plus £20.00 comes to £140.00... Hang on, we’re missing £10.00 somewhere!
    Where is the missing £10.00?
    ‘Tax’ is not the right answer.

2. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

you cant include the money he made for himself in the final some, as he still paid of £30 from his own pocket lol

so 40+ 40 + 40 + 120

120 +30 + 150

i did like that one, mainly cos i got it lol

Certifications: A+ Essentails, A+ Technician , MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Clyde

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Here's a similar one. If a guy is in the middle of nowhere with no women around, and he says something, is he still wrong?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

definately not! until he goes home and tells his wife what he said, then he'll find out he was wrong lol

6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Not a clue:)

But you do not know if it is lighter or heavier, so what makes you point the correct set of four to carry on with?

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No idea. I never knew they had original Japanese names.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

do it count if my misses know's?

apparently was called Puckman aswell,

but if it does count i know i know i know lol

9. shambles

shambles Guest

The coin puzzle is really driving me mad... My first theory is obviously wrong...

First measurement 4 coins on each side, leaving 4 to one side.

If it balances, you know all 8 coins are good, and you can put them all to one side. It's easy from here to find the bad coin amongst the remainder 4, and it's weight in relation to a good coin, in two more measures.

If there is no balance, then you know the bad coin is on the scales somewhere and is one of those 8, but you don't know if it is heavy or light. You also know that the 4 remainder coins are all good.

Assuming that this is the case, and that the first measure leads to an imbalance...

Second measurement

I DON'T KNOW!

10. Tinus1959

Your on the right track. Start swopping some coins between the scales, and between the scales and the four remaining.

11. Tinus1959

Are you still working on this one or would you like me to give the answer?

12. shambles

shambles Guest

Answer please!

13. Tinus1959

Ok. Lets start giving the coins a name just to keep track of them. Lets call them a, b, c, and so on.
    First we split them in three groups of four coins each. We weigh two group together.
    There are two options:
    1. The scales are balanced:
    This is simple. We know that the fake is in the last four but we also know that the eight on the scales are correct. We weigh now three of those last four against three correct ones Again two options: balance --> The last one is the fake, weigh against one corrct one and you are there; inbalance: you know now if the fake is havier or lighter; just weigh two of the three against each other.

2. The scales are not balanced:
    This is the hard part. We know one of these eight is the fake coin, but we do not know if it is on the havier side or not.
    Now we are going to swap coins
    Lets say we had ABCD against EFGH and abcd where havier (note the bold face)
    Take AB and swap with E, put C aside and put FG aside. Fill the 'holes' with IJK
    We now have
    DEIJ against ABHK
    There are now three options:
    2.1 Balance The coins put aside contain the fake one. Weigh F agains G. Balance: C is the havier, inbalance, the lighter one is the fake.
    2.2 Inbalance, same way. The coins that are not moved contain the fake one So D is havier or H is lighter. Thats a simple check.

2.3 Inbalance, but the oposite way. The fake one has to be in the coins that moved to the other scales. We now know the fake one is AB or E. Weigh A against B.

Its simple.

Care for another one?