Quite annoyed, but anyways...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Revolate, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

So I decided to go to my old school to see if any jobs as technicians were availible, I turned up without an appointment which I know isn't very good but I just wanted a little 5 minute chat or so. Anyways... I asked how I should go about applying for a job and they said 'Go on the website and apply, it will have the details of what job you want to apply for' So I was like okay...:dry Would MCDST and A+, N+ be usefull and he just looked at me and just said 'They all help'. Which just made me think all my work was useless, and then I just left, didn't even invite me in to discuss anything and they wern't busy at all music+drinking...

Are MCDST and A+/N+ etc worth so little? :cry: What kind of qualifications should school technicians have? :eek:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  2. Ellis

Ellis Bit Poster

I wouldnt worry, atleast you tried thats the main thing, I don't think they meant these certs are useless it just sounds like the person needs some manners and sounds very rude.

Dont get youself down I do too and sometimes think my studys are useless. Keep your chin up.:D

Certifications: A+, 726 NVQ 2 Computers and Electronics.
    WIP: N+ Then Onto MCDST
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

First of all, who did you speak to? Was it the IT manager? Senior Tech? Receptionist? Always contact them before hand, you'll find people alot more receptive :)

No, they are worth alot, especially at technican level. Those 3 cert's and the knowledge is what I'd expect a tech to have (or at least working towards).

Well it does depend on what systems they use, the level of the technican, the job description of the tech and what the person putting together the job spec recommends.

I know what I'd put down for everyone in IT Services at our organisation, but that maybe different to another educational establishment.

-Ken

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Let me get this straight, there was music, they were drinking, it's a Friday, you didn't have an appointment and they were a bit short with you. Are all these facts unrelated? Sounds like a leaving do or somesuch and you just picked the wrong time to go there.
    p.s. don't go on a Monday morning either.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Didn't he say "They all help"? :blink

Not sure what you were expecting... but he gave you all the information you were looking for: how to apply for a job, what jobs are available there, and what certifications are helpful to have.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think he was expecting a pat on the back and a round of applause. Truth is, that he is now no longer at school and is trying to find a job in the 'real world'. :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

What he was actually looking for was

IT Manager: "Wow you have such great qualifications, i bow down to your mighty wisdom at all things Windows XP. Oh mighty MCDST please take my job in recognition of your vastly superior skills"

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

To be honest mate what did you expect?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Oh god, how sad. MCDST A+ N+ etc? why would I expect a pat on the back seriously? a simple 'Oh apply on such and such of a website' not use a vague explanation as 'go on the website' which website? It wasn't detailed enough. I wanted to be pointed in the right direction hence going to seek advice? If they didn't have the time they could of just stated that. Anyways as for the 'real world' comment grow up dude. :D

10. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Getting your first job in IT is the hardest step IMO.

Take your time mate, you will get there! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think you'll find i'm pretty much grown up, as it is. :noob

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Kitkatninja

For a school there would be two main website, the school's own and the County Councils own website. Along with other places like e-teach, the local paper and job sites...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  13. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Yeah I will Sparky cheers. :D

Ohh
    Lies all lies! :twisted: :D

Thanks Ken, time to have a little search. :biggrin

14. Kitkatninja

You may also want to pop round to edugeek, quite useful for those of us that work in the education sector. Not only that, but we also posts jobs there too :)

-Ken

15. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'll be blunt with you. You're 17, the chances of you getting to work in a School with 15/16 year olds is very unlikely, you have zero experience, zero references to back you up to say "he isn't going to kick **** out of the 16 year old lads that will take the piss" and only your certifications.

Certifications are not a ticket into a job, they are there to be MIXED with experience, of which you have none. I have JUST moved from a job as an IT Tech a High School and in all honestly. At 17, you would be very silly to apply for one. It runs you ragged, the politics are horrendous, the job is reasonably easy depending on your managers, but the issue is, no teacher is going to take your seriously, they struggle to take 35 year old IT managers seriously, and the kids won't take you seriously either because you don't have much time on them. Approach some private sector businesses for entry roles, literally. GET THE YELLOW PAGES OUT, and call up every company under the IT Services etc etc headers. And just politely ask. No one appreciates someone rocking up at the door.

On a positive note. IF you like wolf whistles, then it's the place for you.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  16. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Thanks for all the advice everyone. :D

Yeah I guess your right WK, was stupid of me to think I could oh well was worth a shot! :biggrin

Helpdesk here I come. :dry

17. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I started in IT at 18 mate, with zero qualifications or experience at a Software Developer than also had an IT support company too, entry level, poor wage, but it was the first step towards being able to CHOOSE. Your first step is just that, the first step mate. You do it for a year and then your in a better position to do what you like. Search for Entry level help desks etc. They are not all like you hear about, call centers with chickens in cubicles.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  18. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Yeah i'll give it a shot, seen a few little jobs i'm going to apply for, just fixing my CV as we speak actually. :rolleyes:

Thanks mate. =]

19. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I know of a school which takes on a few ex students. But as the other guy said you would be foolish to go to a school at 17. Get yourself out of education you were only there a year ago.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.