Quickest route to MCSA?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Dead Cell, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Dead Cell

Dead Cell New Member

Hi All

I'm new here and was directed to this site by a kind user on AVForums called BB3Lions [Thanks again BB3Lions]

I apologise if this has been asked already but I did have a quick look and couldn't see much that helped.

The Roadmap only confused me more :(

I would like to do MCSA followed by MCITP, and then I'll more than likely move on to Networking CCNA, MCSE etc but not sure yet.

I work on the IT Helpdesk for a law firm in the city since the last 10 months, so new to corporate IT as its my first IT job. But I've done hardware courses and a few networking courses years ago and dropped out before I started CCNA.

I would like to start with MCSA and then move on but the problem is so many MCSA exams are retired.

Can you please help and suggest the best exams to take and in which order?

I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Why do you feel you want MCSA and MCSE?
    you say you will move towards MCSE after MCITP?

MCSE is the archaic certification for 2003 and older systems
    MCITP is the replacement premier certification, and is structured more about specific technology and job roles
    although the combination of MCITP:SA and MCITP:EA are probably the closest thing to MCSE

I would spend a little more time researching the certs and tell us what you are hoping to achieve rather than what certs you have already decided you need

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

The upgrade path from MCSA/MCSE to MCITP makes more sense than doing it the other way around.

But remember one thing, these certs expect you to have 1-2 years of experience in managing, configuring and supporting servers, and if you don't have this experience, you may struggle.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. Dead Cell

Dead Cell New Member

Thank you to you both for getting back to me, much appreciated.

To be honest I'm completely confused right now about which way to go!

On the one hand I want to be in Networking and on the other hand I want to work with SQL probably data managment/development although I have no SQL experience yet.

I have only done the A+ exams years ago for an hardware class and a couple of basic networking courses and thats it.

Now that I am on the IT Helpdesk and having already been there for 10 months I'm now thinking about moving on to Desktop followed by Networking.

What would you advise? Lets say I want to end up in Networking but have no network knowledge other than the very basics, which route would you recommend?

Thanks guys

5. Shinigami

If you wanna do networking or SQL, an MCSA/MCSE is not for you.

Start with a N+, go to a Cisco cert (CCNA or whatever) for networking,or get an MCITP in SQL.

6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Start studying for the Net+ and if you have the finances take the test - regardless much of the knowledge will be useful in just about anything you do in IT.

Grab a book about SQL and start learning some basics there are probably some good suggestions already in the SQL exams forum here...

At some point tactfully let it be known that you are interested in learning more about the network there - offer to help out or just shadow if you get a chance after hours or during lunch or whatever...

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  7. Dead Cell

Dead Cell New Member

Thanks once again for the replies.

Your suggestions/comments have helped me a lot and it makes sense!

When you say Net+ do you mean the ComptiaNetwork+ http://www.trainus.com/networkplus.asp

Or are you talking about something else?

I just realised you guys are in Switzerland and the USA, I'm in the UK and we have the Comptia A+ and Network+ offered here in the colleges etc.

My main focus will be on getting in to Networking, so I'm going to start with Network+ (if that is the Compita one) and will follow that with CCNA.

I may later focus on SQL as it does interest me quite a bit.

If you guys are talking about the Comptia Network+ then will I not need the Comptia A+ as an prerequisite to do Network+? Or can I jump straight in to Network+ ?

As mentioned I did the A+ stuff (hardware and network) back in 2003-4 and I passed but dropped out just before we started on CCNA (almost the whole class did!).

It never really helped me and I gave up on IT for years until a new manager in IT saw potential in me and gave me the chance. And now he is pushing me to move on and better myself so I'm trying not just for me but for him too.

Can't thank you guys enough for your help and sorry if I'm going around in circles with this but you can appreciate I'm trying to find the best route for me.

Cheers (Y)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You don't need the A+ as a prerequist, perhaps it's recommended but it's not necessary. Network+ is for beginners too so you're better of concentrating on that if you wish to be in a networking field. SQL on the other hand is different which I am sure you're aware... At one point down the line you will have to chose which direction you want to take, it's usually one or the other unless you are jack of all trades guy for the comapny you end up working...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Dead Cell

Dead Cell New Member

Cheers Prof & Gosh

That really helps! Starting next week Monday I'll begin studying Network+ at work, I aim to do 3 hours every day Mon-Fri and as much as I can over the weekends.

Not sure how long it will take me as its all going to be self study but I have all the books and video tutorials that I need.

I will try my best to get it done as soon as possible so I can start on CCNA straight after!

Some tough months ahead fellas!

Honestly can't thank you all enough for the valuable help!

10. Shinigami

+, Net+, Network+ as you probably figured out by now is the same thing. It's a certification available the world over and may just as easily be taught in schools/colleges/universities in the US or Switzerland ;)

Self study is the cheapest option for it however, and the Comptia exams are not always as difficult as some of the other ones like a CCNA, so class related study might not be needed.