quick question??

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Beany, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

afternoon,

CCNA book states that when two devices receive and transmit data on the same pins, a cross over cable is required..

so a PC connected to a router will require a cross over..

but from my experience, when ever ive set up a router connecting to a PC, i cant remember using a crossover cable... things work...

why does the book state a cross over cable is needed?

thanks

2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Is it a home or small business router from an ISP? If so those are really router, switch, and sometime WAP combination devices so you are really plugging in to what amounts to a switch port.

Cisco also has WIC cards for routers that are like little switches. So you could be plugging in to something like this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00801c749d.html

Oh and just to confuse the cabling a bit more for the real world don't forget about the MIDX auto command for interfaces on switches which is used to enable automatic media-dependent interface with crossover detection.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It's because a lot of NIC's have the functions of a crossover cable built in, which is why it's not always required. A crossover cable has receiving and transmitting functionality on both ends which allows it to transmit full data between ethernet devices.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I didn't realize that many NICs had that capability. A quick google search shows quite a few network cards with Auto-MDIX. The simplest solution or answer is usually the best!!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  5. cajensen

cajensen Bit Poster

Just remember that you are studying for the CCNA which I do not think take those into consideration.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, MCTS 70-642, Security +
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

That's the key to that sentence. Not all devices RX/TX on the same pins. I would imagine the majority of devices designed to have NICs plugged in to them would have the pins crossed-over internally.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job