Quick question regarding ram...

Discussion in 'A+' started by steveh2001, Jul 20, 2006.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hey guys

Been revising the Ram section - specifically looked up the t's and c's and discovered that knowledge of SIPPS/DIPPS is not required (see below)

o Form factors (including pin count)
    o SIMM (Single In-line Memory Module)
    o DIMM (Dual In-line Memory Module)
    o SoDIMM (Small outline DIMM)
    o MicroDIMM
    o RIMM

So i spent ages learning all the SIMMS DIMMS etc, and do some practise questions on the web, and the first ram question i get is about DIPPS!

Any advice as to whether DIPPS and very early ram should be studied? Finding it hard enough to remember all the pin numbers of SIMMS onwards!!!

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

SIMM's- 30 pin
    8 Bit
    1 or 4 mb of ram available

repeat these over and over

72 pin
    32 bit(for non parity) 36 with
    4/8/16/32/64 MB of ram available

DIMM's- 164 pin
    64 bit

184 pin
    64 bit

Repeat til it sticks. Not sure about DIPP. Was also told would not need to know info. On the A+ exam, you could get ANY type of questions, expect the unexpected.

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

sorry, 30 pin SIMMS also have a parity checking bit as an extra as well(if needed of course). My bad :D

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Can't advise too thoroughly, as questions on RAM in my exam were rather lacking... well, there was one sole question on filling banks, that was it.

I assume you've checked the objectives at www.comptia.org?

The pin quantity of the RAM type seemed to be prevalent when I was studying; also make sure you can answer questions such as "if you have a Pentium X Board, how many sticks of X type RAM will it take to full one bank?"

Also - where are you taking your practise questions from? If you were surprised at the age of the technology in the question, are you sure the text is mapped to 2003 objectives?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say that a question that included SIPPs/DIPPs is very old. I wouldn't expect to see it in a current A+ exam. Note that the ubiquitous MM book gives details on both, but *outside* the test specific section!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Thanks guys! I cant tell you how de-motivated i was when i thought id have to learn more numbers of pins :D :blink

I have got the 2003 objectives as posted originally, and the question was from a practice test on the web, so for this reason, as you say its probably just out of date!

And i had been using the mike myers book - cant remember specifically but i think its in the historical section. Which i do read, but i dont like learning lots of numbers, which isnt good for the A+ :(

Im getting there though - conqured SIMMS/DIMMS/RIMMS and SO SIMMS. Just need to do the CPU's and sockets now - that is going to be hard!!!

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

check the objectives, but i don't every remember coming across DIPS...

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

steveh2001,

Just remember that the reason why pin count and stuff is important to know is because it would be nice to be shown a picture of RAM and be asked what type of RAM it is, but that would probably require a lot of legal costs of permissions from the various RAM manufacturers to show the picture. So in the interests of avoiding the legal costs of permissions seeking, as well as avoiding higher costs by the testing centers to upgrade their video in order to show the picture clearly, they are resorting to asking nitpicky text questions of pin numbers, etc.

The more important lesson about RAM is to know what they look like and how you can identify them using specifications like pin count. For example, DIMMs are longer than SIMMs. Therefore, DIMMS have more pins than SIMMs.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  9. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Thanks RHLee - yep that makes sense - just hard to keep hold of all the numbers in your head!

But applying logic like DIMMS being longer then SIMMS should help quite a bit

10. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

The main difference to tell the difference with RAM is the notch's along the bottom of the Card.
    30 pin SIMM's have no nothces, but a small grove on the bottom left of the card.

72 Pin SIMM's have one notch in the middle along the bottom contact edge, and a small nothc in the bottom right of the card.

168 pin DIMM's have 2 notches along its bottom contacts.

184 pin DIMM's have 1 notch(which im sure your aware of)

RIMM's have 2 notches, but to differentiate from DIMM's they are much closer than its DIMM partner.

Craig

11. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Another thing ive just noticed, You said your first question regrding RAM was about DIPP's?? Would i not be right in saying that DIPP's are a very early form of processor??

Please quote me if im wrong.

12. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

elli5on,

You're partially right. According to Audit My PC.com, DIPP stands for "Dual Inline Pin Package". It refers to integrated circuit "chips" that are rectangular and often black plastic with silver "legs" coming out the sides, like a caterpillar/centipede/millipede. CPUs like the Intel 8086 were of the DIPP format. RAM was also once upon a time available in DIPP format prior to SIMMs if I recall. They were either permanently soldered onto the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) or temporarily inserted into sockets that were permanently solder onto the PCB.

Link:
    1) AuditMyPC.com definition of DIPP - http://www.auditmypc.com/acronym/DIPP.asp
    2) Pictures of 8086 - http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/8086/index.html

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  13. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Yea mike meyers defiently covers DIPPS as ram - i guess a DIPP just means the IC chip then, which can be used for lots of things. I was talking about it in the ram sense :D

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Somewhere I have a couple of DIPP pliers. One was for ROMS in things like the original PET and Apple][, the other is longer and was used for the peripheral chips.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+