1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Q for the guys with multiple WIP's

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Aureilius, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Hi guys.

BTW it's good to be back :D

Just wondering. Looking at the WIP: A+, N+, etc. as opposed to one at a time. Are you guys following a pattern of finishing one cert then moving on to the next, or are these simultaneous projects?

if so, how are you finding that? Are you working to some timetable, ie; Monday A+, Tuesday N+, etc?

Again, how is that working?

I'd be interested to know.

Reason I ask is that I spent time learning about networking before I found this place & realised that the A+ is, generally speaking, the first step. If they compliment each other then I can see that it makes a lot of sense, Ie; A+, N+.

On the other hand, if time is a factor, then singular concentration on one at a time seems to make sense (to me anyway :blink ).

Just wondered what your approach was?

Cheers..

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I have taken all my certs one at a time. However, I started with A+ and moved up from there. Well, sort of anyway. I did mine in the following order: A+, MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA.

Since then I've moved on to the really fun stuff, Linux, and I'm sort of going about it in a roundabout fashion. I'm kind of going where my interests lead, but still making sure I am sticking to the tracks for the LPIC Levels 1 and 2 certs. There's a lot there and I figure it will take me a couple of years, at least, to reach that level of knowledge. :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Thanks ffreeloader. Oddly enough, I do have a linux Q.

Guess this is the wrong place though!!

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Afraid to hijack your own thread? :twisted: :hahaha

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Haha. No, just an entirely unrelated matter :)

Hey, 4 months with my ISP, I reckon you'd go potty as well :twisted:

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd think that most of the guy's who list multiple WIP's are going to go through them one at a time simply listing the 'bigger' WIP's as their ultimate goals.

I know from personal experience that it is extremely hard to switch your attentions between two subjects, infact I'm doing it now for different modules of my degree.

I list the Network+ in my WIP, but it's only there as I keep my eye on the objectives and what not. I won't really swot up for it until May.

8)

7. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

I would study for one IT certification at a time! :) :study

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

well, i'm aiming at the a+ plus first but have my nosey beak in lots of different subjects at the same time, guess because it's been a while since i learned anything i've reverted back to the school way of periods.

little of this, little of that but i have a lot of time in which to do this so it's good for me.

:tongue

Certifications: ECDL
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I hadn't done any exams for decades <grin> so when I decided that it might be an idea to get some certs I decided the best was to do them one at a time.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Personally I would work on one cert at a time. I think if I work on two at once information might cross over from one cert to another and confuse the hell out of me.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

yeah, one at a time, otherwise things can get :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

ah, but wouldn't that be a good way to learn? intertwining all you've learned and seeing how it affects other parts?

Certifications: ECDL
  13. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

For my job yes for taking the exam no. I think it's better to be focused on one thing at a time...:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  14. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

One at a time for me, I'm doing MCP-MCSA-MCSE-CCNP as my longer term WIP but my focus right now is exam 70-291 to become MCP in Windows 2003.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging