Quick Outlook 2003 Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by SolidSponge, Jul 19, 2007.

1. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Hey guys
    Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here with this. Got a user who uses his exchange mail on a desktop and a laptop. He is saying that when he opens his email on his laptop and then goes to open his email on his desktop, emails he has opened on his laptop are not showing as being opened on his desktop (if you get me?). It's like they haven't been opened at all and are being downloaded from exchange from scratch.

Any ideas?

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-290
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

How are the accounts setup? Are they set to use an Exchange server or something else like POP3/IMAP?

What's the time difference bewteen him d/l onto his laptop and checking on his desktop?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Yeh this guys has POP3 mailbox that is setup in Exchange. As for time difference, well it's whenever he decides to log on to his laptop. All the mails he's picked up on his desktop look as if they've not been picked up at all.

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

If he is using POP3 to download his emails then you must have set up the mail box to keep a copy on the server when it is sent to the laptop. I think then as the mail on the server hasn't been opened, just copied and sent to the lappy, it will be marked as unread when he logs onto his desktop, which I guess he's looking straight at the mailbox.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, I'd also guess it's a cached mode problem.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Ah of course, exchange caching.

Cheers guys I'll give that a try :biggrin