queston for help desk /1st liners

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by thetokyoproject, Apr 8, 2007.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

do you log jobs for every call or only the ones that need to be escalated and can;t be fixed at 1st line?

cheers.

Certifications: 271
  2. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

The 1st line IT support job that I start at the end of the month requires that all calls are logged including the problem and how you resolved it.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

This was a question that came up at our last IT meeting!

The Help desk stated that all jobs have to recorded, partly to keep an history file on that caller and partly to show the Finance dept what they do with their time8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I haven't actually worked on a IT helpdesk. However you log all calls that you receive. That way as UCM said you always have a history of that call and if there is any problems that do arise then it is fully documented and if you've done everything you could it basically covers your arse as well.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. thetokyoproject

yeah, that's what i suspected...

however, where i work, i noticed that quick advice (such as "no that's not possible) and password resets are usually not logged since the desk can get quite busy, and the quicker they get these kind of calls out of the way (as in near a few seconds), the quicker they can get to the next caller in the queue.

although the desk should follow official lines on call logging, i believe that the help desk manager leaves it to the operators' discretion regarding quick calls like the above mentioned.

6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

ALL calls must be logged!!

If you don't you have no idea how much work the helpdesk is doing! So can't get your staffing/skill mix right. Can't charge your customers for the activity you are doing.

Shall I go on?

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - password resets - are you saying that you can reset the users password within few seconds?

pw resets should not be rushed, yes - reset the password within the AD takes 5 seconds, but how about security? Seriously, each company must adopt some policy whereby they call handler must ask the user some sort of security questions to verify the caller, if not, bigggggggggg security breach!

And what Sandy mentioned is very true - this helps ITSM alot!

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'd actually follow the official line, it will come back and bite you as the manager could claim they never said don't log certain calls.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Password resets take seconds in my job, and no we don't log them. But then there is only two of us and about 1500 users, most of which are kids whose accounts are locked down to the hilt. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Generally all calls should be logged but I guess it’s really down to the policy of the company.

Try and log the call while you are resolving the problem, saves time! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I've never worked on a Helpdesk, but I can appreciate the benefit of logging all calls that come through.

We don't log support issues at my work place (only a small company of 50+ users) but it would help immensely if we did. I have noticed that a user may have a problem, we may spend a couple of hours finding a solution and sorting it out but there's no formal documentation. I try to keep notes on all problems I deal with, but the other support guy doesn't. So when he's away and a previous problem occurs, I have to spend more time looking for a solution, when it could have taken me 2 minutes to read through some logs.

That said, we have been assigned to creating our own helpdesk application but due to our workload it's been side lined. The funny thing is that if we did have the application it would probably help us work more efficiently and have more time to do other things!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I work on a helpdesk, and we (should) log every call we receive.

Apart from management use - KPI's, identifying training needs, and so forth - I find it a useful tool for troubleshooting. If I come across an issue I haven't seen or don't know how to tackle, I do a search on the existing tickets for a keyword of the problem. For every issue I resolve, I write the solution as a private attachment to the call log - this way, new starters in the future will also be able to use the helpdesk as a resource.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Have a look at SysAid. We use it at our place and it's very good for a freebie.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  14. Ruoste

Ruoste Bit Poster

Exactly! I log also every call, and if I can't solve the problem, I forward it to other group and put worklog all troubleshooting steps.

Certifications: ITIL v2, MCDST
  15. thetokyoproject

yeah, i don;t work on a help desk so i don;t know official lines but i;ve noticed the majority of the helpdesk staff don;t log all calls.

as i;ve never come across another help desk, i don;t know what people do or don;t do in other organisations.

we have about 4000 users and 6 helpdesk staff.

i work 2nd line desktop and sometimes another user grabs me for a quick fix. i usually do this without logging a job. the boss has said we can do this and no one's ever told me that i had to log a job if i decide to fix another issue whilst on another call.

i guess each place has it's own guidelines and flexibility on these rules/guidelines.

16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If I logged every single job I do on our helpdesk I would have a hell of a lot less time to actually fix things and get jobs done. The helpdesk at our place is not a formalised thing really, we put it in place so we could monitor jobs and show pretty graphs to our boss now and again.

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Helpdesk at my school consists of a knock on the door followed by me shouting "what"! Its a there and then fix. If anything is going to take longer then it gets wrote down on my 'to-do' list. :biggrin

18. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Exactly our policy 2, log a call for every issue.

It also means there's a record of the work you're doing so workload can be tracked.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  19. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Being on the subject of 1st line support, Im due to start my job at the end of the month, What sort of hours do you guys usually work? (8 - 4, 9 - 5 etc) I forgot to ask when I was at the interview.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Where I work, whoever works on the ticket logs their info, if any. Whoever resolves the ticket, closes the ticket.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!