Questions that are bugging me ??

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Stu, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Stu

Stu New Member

Hi there,

Got a few questions that i could do with answers for before a pull my hair out.

1) After you have installed 2 processors into you XP Pro machine, what do you have to do for PC to register this ?? Scan for new hardware maybe ??

2) I have a ACPI complaint compter but for some reason it keeps stopping during GUI mode whilist installing from a local CD-ROM. Whats ths best thing to stop this from happening ??

3) I want to create a custom hardware profile whereby one device is disabled, I still want to be able to use the device on the original hardware profile, what is the best thing to do ??

4) i have tried to install a 2nd PCI adaptor but after attaching the 2nd monitor me PC will not complete its POST routine. whats going on ?? How can i solve this problem?? do i need to verify anything ??

5) i have an old PC whereby the BIOS is not ACPI based, i playing around a bit and applied an upgrade a ACPI flash on the BIOS, now my PC is not working correctly. How can i solve this problem ??

lastly, i promise for now...

6) i have a user that needs to magnifer to run each time he logs in. what 2 interfaces can i use to achive this ??

sorry there is so much to ask but if you dont ask you will never know !!

cheers

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

these sound like exam questions... where did you get them from ?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

are these calls logged on your helpdesk? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think you have just posted bits of the original questions, which I guess were multiple choice. Not being able to see the choice of answers makes it very difficult to help. Having said that please do not post any actual questions here unless they are your own questions.

Now to give full answers to all of those questions would take too long but I will point you in the right direction for Q1.

During Windows setup the install process detects how many CPUs the mobo supports and how many are actually installed. Windows will then load a specific HAL (hardware abstraction layer) that is either multi-processor or uni-processor. If you install another processor after windows has been installed it will not be recognised because the wrong HAL will be in place.

I believe that Microsoft recommends re-installing the system from scratch and that is what I would do in the real world/ However, in order to get Windows to recognise the 2 processors, you might get away with it by doing a *repair* of the operating system. This basically re-installs windows on top of itself whilst also detecting hardware again and drivers etc. If repair was in one of the choices, then that is what I would select.

But what the question is actually trying to make you aware of are the different HALs which may be installed depending on the hardware detected.

I would google HAL +multi-processor etc and start to do some research and then use the same kind of approach with your other questions.

Just posting a question and asking what is the answer is not going to fill your head with knowledge. All of the subjects covered in those questions are deep and there is plenty to get your teeth into out there on the net.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Quoted for Truth... and Wisdom.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

With regard to HAL's and multi-processors I remember (just about) from 70-270 that the MS method and for the exam should be.

Boot up windows press F5 and select from the list:=

ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    MPS Multiprocessor PC
    MPS Uniprocessor PC
    Standard PC

Then after you have added the new processor reboot with the new HAL and all should be rosie.

This is classic exam question.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

exactly what Clyde said... and i picked up on 2 questions from my exam.... :blink

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah, not good, drop those questions like a hot potato - your material may be a braindump!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)