Questions on study methods for the Windows 2008 MCSA

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by gatorguy, Feb 3, 2013.

1. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

I am working on getting my 2008 MCSA and initially was using the Sybex study guide hoping it was comprehensive enough to prepare and take the initial 70-640 test. I purchased the Online Transcender for 70-640 & was blown away at the material that isn't covered in the Cybex book that is being provided by the Transcender product.

My new game plan is to perform the following to prepare for the tests and was hoping for any feedback from anyone who has studied for and passed any of the 2008 MCSA exams:

1) Read through the MS Press book and go through any material I'm not familiar with in a lab environment (I currently manage over 75 Win 2K03 & 2K08 R2 servers with a separate lab environment for testing).

2) Go through all exercises/review questionsat the end of each chapter

3) Study the transcender flash cards till I achieve over 90-95% accuracy

4) Study the transcender exams until I score consistently in the 90-95% range or higher

I was going to avoid creating my own study guide and flash cards from the MS Press book, hoping that the Transcender products are thorough enough to fill that gap. I'm looking to know specifically if my preparation process is too streamlined (based on your previous preparation methods) and if I should be incorporating any other training products or steps.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
    Dan

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Sounds like a good plan to me. That's how I do it!

3. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Thanks for the quick response. It's nice to get feedback from others that have prepared for these tests. It's been a few years since I've taken any certification exams as I went back to graduate school the past few years and now need to re-certify on a number of products that I use for work.

Thanks again,
    Dan