Questions about the upgrade of the A+ exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by Rupert-Pupkin, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Rupert-Pupkin

Rupert-Pupkin New Member

Hi, I was just reading about the updates CompTIA are making to their A+ exams over the next 9 months or so. As someone who is looking to start the qual in the next month/few months, how would it work for me. Would I still sit the 03 type qualifications, or do I work from the new exam books (are they even out?) and wait to sit the exam after march 07/aug 07?

Part of me is thinking I wont have enought time to do the course by the end of the current qual, but its to long to wait until the updates!?!

2. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Maybe if you find out exactly when the exams are due to change, I thought it was march 07. If you feel you can complete the 03 syllabus before march..... Go for it.
    If not be patient and sit the next syllabus.

Your call

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think they're lining up the books for the upgrade sooner than you think:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0072263113/202-6765430-9676663?v=glance&n=266239

Check out www.comptia.org for comprehensive news and info on the upgrade. If you've already set yourself a time frame, then don't decide to rush it just because the exam is changing. New books will be out in a few months; in the meantime, go to your library and start reading up on some essentials; there should always be things that you'll need to know such as CPU specs, connector types and speeds, cable length limitations and so on.

Revise these, and then when the new books come out, buy yourself one and fine tune on the details. And when you come to sit the exam, it'll be easy as pie.

She says.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hey nobody has said...what will happen when the new update comes in...Does this mean IT proff. with A+ certificates before the update will have to retake the qualification?

UCM :blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

AFAIK, once you've got the A+, you're A+.

There's a guy in our HO helpdesk team who took it a few years ago, and he's never had to retake.

I think it's further up the tree where retakes start; CCNA needs recertifying for example - every two years I believe.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Wth CompTIA exams, once you pass, they are with your for life and not in the hereafter, and that is one of the reasons why the exams are on the expensive side... ...so i am told

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thanks Arroryn & TheCheekMaster, that's given me some peace of mind!

UCM :smilescol

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+