Questions about IT certifications ?

Discussion in 'A+' started by rick, Mar 19, 2005.

1. rick

rick New Member

Hi,
    I'm consider getting some computer education (maybe online) and not sure where to start. With all the wide array of computer courses that offer by private school, community college or online study… , I am very confuse where should began. I do know how to build computer and sometime help friends fix their computer problem. I'm not a computer genius or anything, but I can operate one better than most people. I’m interested in IT Security and no clue where to start.

Question:
    1. Should I first get A+ certified? Or can I skip A+ and go directly to any other program such as: Networking +, Security +, CIW, E-Commerce. …Etc.
    2. If I can self-study A+, Network + or IT Security ... What kind of study material would you suggest? (I hope not one of those 1000 Pages book)
    3. What is the procedure of getting A+ or Network + exam?

Thanks for any of your input.

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Are you aiming to get into IT as a job?

1. Given the description of your experience I think it would be well worth considering doing the A+

2. Well, I would suggest the books because you aren't tied to yor computer to study, but there are other options for instance
    http://www.cbtnuggets.com/

3. First of all you work your backside off studying the material for the exam. When you think you are ready you book the exam at either www.vue.com or http://www.prometric.com They both have test centers all over the world. You then turn up at the center of your choice and take a multi choice exam, you find out whether you have passed or failed at the end of the exam.

HTH
    Phil

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Oh, welcome to Certforums by the way :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Rick,

There's probably a hundred ways to answer your questions, depending on who's answering - best advice I'd give is have a good nose through the relevant subject Forums on here, and also the Training & Development Forum - you'll pick up much more about reading other Folks' opinions on similar situations.

And why not swing by the New Members board and give us all a more general intro - meet the gang too...

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, Rick. I'd go with Phil's suggestion and start with the A+. There's more to that particular certification than just building a computer and operating as a "power user". As far as a 1000 page book, well...I'm going to suggest one (sorry), but it will be worth your while. I pinned a "resources" thread at the top of the A+ forum awhile back. No one has added any resources to it (tho all are invited to do so) but here's the link:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread3707.html

I consider the A+ and Network+ exams to be two sides of the same coin. One deals with the computer as a device and a collection of systems within a device and the other deals with the computer as one element in a collection of networked devices and the structure and nature of the network itself. I also know that CompTIA is about to release the new 2005 objectives for the Network+ so by the time you are finished with the A+, the new Network+ test will be available.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. rick

rick New Member

Thanks for all your input. Let me tell you a bit of my background. I had own a Franchise computer school (www.futurekids.com) before for 5 years between 1995 to 2000, (business was pretty good) I was a teacher in my computer center for 4 years and have experience in teaching fundamental computer. My computer center had been close down since year of 2000. After that I was working for my friend web hosting company for pass 3 years on and off, helping his company clients build a web site with front page, Dreamweaver and web builder program.

Unfortunately, my friend company had no longer in business due to many competitions.

I finish high school in 1983. I don’t have any IT certifications or degree and never attend to any computer school have a formal training, I self study all the computer skill and program through Internet or book.

Now at the age of 35, Im not sure where to start without any certifications or degree if I want to continue working in the IT field. I like to hear more suggestions for anyone.
    Thanks.
    Rick