Questions about ESXi & vSphere

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by michael78, Sep 6, 2009.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys just bought a ML115 as I heard with ESXi 4 it runs natively. I have a few questions that some of you VMWare guru's might be able to fill me in on as previously I've only used Virtual Box.

1) Do you use vSphere to administrate your ESXi server?

2) Is vSphere free or do you have to pay for it?

3) When installed and setup do you access the OS's from vSphere or remote control software like RDC or VNC?

Cheers guys in advance

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

vsphere is not free, but there is a trial and its for cloud computing style infrastructures

vsphere
    http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/

But you can use the VMware vSphere Client to manage ESXi.

Have ordered a ML115, you just need ESXi which is free

http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/

You use ESXi 's management console , but yes you can also use VNC or RDC on individual VM's if you setup each OS to do so

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. michael78

Cheers Andi, thanks for clearing that up. Think I was confused with vSphere and VMware vSphere client.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

When you go through the installation have a USB stick inserted prior to booting your ESXi disk and it will appear in the options for destinations to install ESXi. You'll also need to format a HD during installation with at least 9GB of free space for OS's so if you have installed anything on the 160GB HD you get with your ML115, that you wanna keep, I'd create a partition and us that.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. michael78

I've installed ESXi onto a 80GB hard drive I installed into the ML115 and was intending to run ESXi from that and install the Virtual OS's onto the 160GB that came with the ML115 but am now thinking in the long run I will install ESXi onto a USB drive and use the 80GB to install Windows 2008 and have a dual boot system as installing ESXi onto the hard drive is a massive was of space. Performance wise is there any difference installing ESXi on a hard drive and USB stick?

6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

boots quicker on USB, apart from virtual disks etc most of esxi itself is memory resident i believe

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots