Question wording

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Rostros22, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Obviously I cannot put the real question here as that would break all sorts of rules and laws and people would start shouting at me. But a question I faced while doing a Measure Up practise exam came up with something like this.

John has 30 machines to upgrade from Win2k to Win XP Pro. A CD based install would be to strenuous so which install method should he use… etc.

a) Standard
    b) Upgrade
    c) Network
    d) Clean

Now the answer is c) for a network install as this takes less time. But what I am trying to get around is the fact in the question it mentions specifically that John has been asked to upgrade the machines, which if my Sys admin said to me, would mean don’t lose all the files, apps etc. A network install, RIS, would install a clean install of XP.

Not I understand that this is still classed as an upgrade as you have moved to a newer client version but does anybody see what I see? Or am I completely wrong in my way of thinking?

Now I did answer with C as I could see what the question was referring to, ease of install. The only thing I think that makes it semi clear is that is does say a CD based install would take to long, which to perform an upgrade would require.

Mods please remove this if I have broke any rules.

Stu

Edit: Can someone clear something up for me please. I have read in sources that you can upgrade machines via a RIS install and other sources claim that only a clean install is done from RIS servers. I have only ever done a clean install so unsure.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

I'm kinda rusty on that...is network install with an answer file? In that case can't you script it to be an upgrade?

And AFAIK RIS does clean installs.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you can create an answer file for RIS - you just have to link it to the image on the RIS server...

More here

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well you could argue that to install XP on a computer that previously had Windows 2000, that it would be classed as an upgrade in some peoples minds (not mine).

Any enhancement to a computer can be classed as an upgrade, and this is where the question wording can get confusing.

There is nothing stopping you from copying the i386 folder of an XP upgrade CD to the network and kicking off the installation from within windows on the 2000 client. You would then be asked if you want to upgrade the OS, just as if you had put the CD in the local CD drive and clicked on Winnt32.exe

Edit: to make clearer

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

That is what I was thinking. Just one of those questions that makes you think there is more than one answer and that you could, in theory, discuss with a human being in real life. Unfortunately in the exam I can't speak to the screen (unless I want the men in white coats to come get me) so I would just have to calculate it better.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Installing of the network doesnt neccessarly have to be RIS, but it can just contain an i386 share on another computer like bluerinse said.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I haven't got the MS Press book here, but i am pretty sure it states you can only do a clean install from RIS.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ill echo that RIS is only clean installations.... from computer performance:

more here

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

i thought so. glad the 270 stuff is sinking in :biggrin

Si

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

both of you might find this as an interesting read to sumarize the installation.

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

great link, thanks :thumbleft

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Usually the question would include something like “You must preserve the users data” or something like that.

You really just have to answer what is asked in the question. If you start thinking about the answer in terms of the ‘real life’ situation you can overcomplicate things. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs