Question time

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by MrNice, Feb 10, 2005.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Any advice on these would be much obliged, as I am either thick or just cant get the hang of this at all.
    Q)On an XP pro system you are running a few applications at the same time, when you run a certain application the PC slows down so you monitor CPU usage which is under 50% but when said application runs it shoots up to 100%. Paging activity is always high on the system, how can you improve performance?
    1)stick in another CPU 2)increase paging file 3)Add RAM
    Q)If you monitor disk counters on a slow system ie: physical disk:%disk time and high values are displayed what can you do to improve it?
    1)adjust paging file 2)disk defragmenter 3)disk quotas-disable
    Q)on a 2000 network I want to ensure all users have the same user profile, after creating the file and putting it on the file server I monitor and notice they are all still using local profiles, how can I change this?
    1)Share the folder that has the profile in it
    2)change the allow-change permission to allow-read for the share to all user accounts
    3)Ntuser.man rename Ntuser.dat
    4)Redirect each users my documents folder to network share
    Q)After upgrading several NT 4.0 pc's to XP pro & several Win98 pc's to 2000 pro on a 2000 domain an application all users run distorts the screen, how do I prevent other applications being affected by this
    1)change DPI settings 2)change display settings in display properties 3)reinstall offending application

And if anyone can recommend a better book than the MS press one I would be happy

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Help me out here, Mr Nice. These are obviously questions from somewhere (and hopefully not copywrited...the complains give me a headache). The ones in blue indicate the correct answers. Are you saying you are having a tough time getting these answers correct on your tests?

Let's look at this. Since you are posting in the MS Client forum, you are probably studying for the 70-270 exam (the questions mention XP so that kind of cinches the deal) but it doesn't hurt to mention the exam you're studying for just for clarity's sake.

What I'd want to do here is try and understand *why* the answer is correct. While much of what we do to prepare for an exam is to memorize the answers, it is just as important or even more important to understand why the answer is what it is? Why would tossing in another stick of RAM be a better solution to performance slow down when running a pig app than adding another CPU (usually not an option in a PC) or increasing paging (the paging process is what is taking so much time and why your CPU is freaking out).

Am I shooting anywhere near the target? Also (and I hate to admit this) but I have a lousy memory. I can't always recall who is studying for what certification and what texts they said they were using...even though I'm at certforums almost every day. I apologize if this sound a tad flip...and this is to everyone, not just you, but in crafting your questions, could you include some of those details? It would help at least me (and possibly some of the others) in being able to help you.

I apologize if I've just been rude and hope that some of the above is helpful. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Ok, my fault. I am studying 70-270 and it's not going too well. My answers are in blue, I used to post in A+ forum regularly using this layout and kinda forgot I am now in the MS client forum. The questions are from somewhere for sure but are altered beyond all recognition. I agree with you that it's essential to know why something is correct or indeed incorrect, I aint going to get these exact questions in the real deal. I posted these particular questions as I have several others relating to the same areas and if the way I am thinking to come to these answers is correct I am reasonably confident others may also be correct, sorry if I caused any upset.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm not upset, I just confused easily. :biggrin No worries, mate. Like most old codgers and techs, I'm pretty linear in my thinking and it helps to lay the whole deal in front of me so I can understand what's going on. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

No worries Trip, bit of a rushed poor post from me as usual. I have started getting the "you are falling behind letters from my training provider" and getting that mock exam away will get them off my case!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a website that describes Group Policy and User profiles and indeed Organizational units in any detail?

I am finding the description given in the MS Press 70-270 book somewhat light to say the least. Having been an XP Pro home user since it launched and i find the book jumps from stuff like changing the date and time (which I know) to setting up group policies (which I dont) in a paragraph. The book I have is like a manual on how to do things giving step by step instructions but I find the overview of each section is too light. I have tried MS website and google but am still failing to find much info. Money is rather tight at the moment but I am maybe going after the Exam cram book on this subject.

6. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

this is going to be my 1st MCP so while I cant help you atm and when I am able you will have probably nailed it :p

if you do find any links for this stuff or books that give you what your looking for then please post links/titles here, would be a good source for others in the same predicament (more likely me in a few weeks time)

in reference to your question

Q)After upgrading several NT 4.0 pc's to XP pro & several Win98 pc's to 2000 pro on a 2000 domain an application all users run distorts the screen, how do I prevent other applications being affected by this
    1)change DPI settings 2)change display settings in display properties 3)reinstall offending application

I done a mock exam and am sure the correct answer was to do with compatibility mode - run in 256 colours for that program

dont quote me on that tho :)

WIP: N+ & CCNA