Question: Requarding 70-291

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by comp_ junkie, Sep 25, 2009.

1. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

I am currently studying for 70-291... I just finished The course.."Instructor" led.. i have My lab set up Using an Old Dell P4 laptop.. 2 gig prossessor and 1.5 gig of Ram...and using One of my desktops as a client.. i have my Domain Set "classroom.com... but want to better familiarize myself with simulation... I have Heard about VMware... and certain other apps.. but have never Used it..... I am still reading Sybex 2nd edition.. with some of the sample questions that are included...Installed server 2003 on The Laptop.... i am looking to 'like with Cisco uses Boson simulator to create Virtual networks in its Prep....can i use Boson for MS as well, since there are so many scenerios. What can i use to simulate networks @ home on my lab.... will i need a stronger machine Than my laptop... where would be The first place to start what simumlation tool can i use as refferance......:eek:

Certifications: A+ Network+ Security+ IT PRO MCP CNST
    WIP: MCSA / CEH
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Thats some old kit to be running labs on IMO. Most of us opt for a higher spec machine running Virtual PC or VMWare to run typically 3 instances of 2003 with 2 XP possibly 2 Vista clients. Do you work in IT do you mind me asking? 291 is for people with 18 months Server/Network experience and as I've seen on here, almost impossible to pass without the experience never mind a lab.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, Boson does not have a Microsoft simulator.

You can download evaluation copies of Windows Server 2003 that you can use to create a network at home. However, you should have 6 months of real-world server administration experience before attempting 70-291. Although you might be able to pass it, the certification won't do you much good in an interview without the corresponding experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

Yes i understand .. but i am trying to build a foundation to study from... and better prepare for The exam... Fourtunatly I am employed.. for a good Co.. and Help with Server support. there are times when we have brown outs .and i am able to bring the server back up and retain its data and Integrity we have around 35 SunRay Clients "Sun Microsystem" system and 25 Desktop Clients we use 2 Cisco Switches 2950,3550 and a Cisco router 2811 along with a Server 2003 r2 and Server 2000 is set as an sql... I currently work for a contractor for a telecommunications co.. I got hurt On the job around 4 years ago.. I was a linesman since 1985.I was almost ripped of my Ladder by a drunk driver that decided to un the red light and Ran right into ths house that i was working on almost lost my Arm not to mention my Life.. hanging 28 feet in The air while i was running Midspan with The ladder and cable Stran wrapped around my wrist.... Thank the Good Lord above that I am here to talk about it.. and i was pulled from the feild and upgraded in status ' Because of my prior Cabling experiance.... Unfortunatly.. The Server ,Policies and Permissions were already set.... and My Current duties do not envolve... Other Than servicing client computers or damage claims on a Computer...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  5. BosonMichael

Even if the permissions are already set, you still need to understand the ones that exist, particularly when adding new users. And you probably do, if you help with server administration.

So... go ahead and build that home lab so you can get more practice, which should help you when you study concepts that are unfamilar to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. JK2447

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you, thats terrible. If you don't work with DNS, DHCP, NAT, RRAS etc there's no reason you need to pass this exam. The best advice I can give you is to ask your employer if you can get more involved with server administration. I'm not trying to put you off your studies, by the looks of things you are doing great and have more than enough certs to get you in a position to advance your career.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  7. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

That is what i am looking towerds.. I understand that they are expanding.. and will be reconstructing the Network... able to add users and copy certain permissions but am still want to know more...I ran all the Cat 5 to all the clients when we moved to out present local.... would like to get more envolved.. with Server.. I guess that time will allow me to do so... so i will put off further testing and concentrate more on the concept of learning the craft..... It to me 20 years to learn cabling as an installer and Supervisor... i guess i will be 60 or before i will do The same on Server :blink

8. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

Thanx for the advice... and will continue to work from home and learn and get More envolved @ work as well.. Hopefully i can be there when The new server is constructed and configuerd...... Thanx again:D

9. JK2447

You are doing the right thing getting more experience before attempting 291. Have a search on here, its an absolutely solid exam that has a really high failure rate. To answer your initial question here is an example lab set up by an experienced admin. Just to give you an idea of what you will eventually setup.

If its taking forever for your career to progress in the direction you want it to I'd suggest you apply for external jobs that can offer you the chance to advance your career. If you stay in your current job while you apply you will loose nothing. Good luck, Jim

10. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

Thanx Jim I will Certinally take this into Consideration... and Thanx a Bunch for the Link... Very help insight There as well....boy do i wish i were 20years younger...lol...

11. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

also going to build a computer from scratch That can support a Virtual lab...is core2 dual reccommeneded 2 to 4gig ram.... 500gig hd... Now to make room and get the warden's "wife's" approval....

12. BosonMichael

It shouldn't take you anywhere near that long. :) Although I've messed with computers going on 30 years now, I've only been in IT officially for the past 12 years or so.

13. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

:D I spoke to my Bosses " The Owners" of The Co and Our Engineer... They Insisit I take The Exam..... January 2010 will be My 8th year Anniversary.. with My Marriage to Computers....Geez I spend more Time with Computers them My Own Family @ times:blink... Plus I payed $1200 for The Course... The company will Reimburse me .. Only I have to Pass the exams....so Makes better Sense to Complete something I have already Started and Basically Payed for..I am currently Studying @ least 2 hours day @ the Job....and 2 Hours @ Home on Lab Work and Reading @ the Job... My Employers and Engineer Support what i am doing and Strongly Urged Me to Finish and Take The Exams..... 8)

14. BosonMichael

Wow, that's rough. Good luck!

15. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

at least he has his dumps

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  16. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

I am Not Using Dumps for this Exam... Studying @ least Three Hours a Day.Reading SYBEX 70-291 2nd edition by Steve Suehring, J.Chellis & Matt Sheltz @ least 1 Chapter 1/2 every two days or so .. Using cbtn for about 2hours @ night ... along with the Lab I have set up @ home. My Instructor "Henry" is also working with me On Sundays. I am also working with our Engineer in deploying a new Terminal Server @ another location..I have about a month or so for Nov23....... I am gonna do it... I am Gonna Pass This exam...... :biggrin