Question regarding Evaluation Licences

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Nov 13, 2007.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

When you buy an MS Press book you (usually) get an evaluation copy of the OS (or Product) with it. Now these are usually limited to 120 or 180 days and you must activate them.

Now suppose that I'm not finished using my eval version, can I reinstall it and re-use the same product key? or do I need to obtain an other Key?

If I need another Key does anyone know how to go about obtaining one? :unsure

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As far as I am aware Si, once the 180 days is up - that's it.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Feck! :dry

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I have registered my 180 day trial version of Server 2003 on no less than 5 separate occassions. For the course, you need at least two running, and I've been lax when it comes to doing the course, so have had to reinstall a couple of times.

They are still kicking, still registering without any problems.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

I was thinking the opposite, in that you can reinstall and use the same key :blink i'm sure i have reinstalled an evaluation copy of xp more than once. Or maybe i didn't. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Perhaps I should just give it a try and see!

Hmm, I never thought of this, but what is to stop you from running it as your main OS if you can re activate it? I know that lots of people rebuild their PC's every six months or so. Cheap way to get an XP licence? :unsure

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This is also my experience and understanding. After the eval period is over, the product stops working. However, a wipe-and-reinstall will work without any problems. This basically causes just enough inconvenience to dissuade someone from using an eval copy as a perpetual "real production install".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks for the insight guys - i thought it was install and throw away. Of course, being an *actionpack subscriber* i don't have to worry about such things. :biggrin :p

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT