1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question re Domain Trusts

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 Exams' started by Rover977, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

If domain B trusts domain A, does this mean :-

(1) at the login screen on a computer in domain A, the user has the option of logging into domain A or domain B. If domain B is selected, then the user must then enter a user name/pswd for a user account in domain B.

OR

(2) at the login screen on a computer in domain A, the user can log into a domain A user account only, but such an account can be assigned permissions to resources in domain B ?

Thanks for any info.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
    WIP: Maths
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

1) I think if you logon to domain B with a user account from domain A you can still log on as the DC in domain B honours the logon credentials on behalf of domain A.

2) When assigning permissions to a share the user accounts can be from either domain.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  3. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

Answer is (2).

For (1) to be true, domain A would need to trust domain B (I.e. the opposite of the original statement).

Regards,

z.

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Are these domains in the same AD forest?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Yes. Its just a hypothetical situation - I just wasn't clear from the book I was reading what exactly a 'trust' relationship means.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
    WIP: Maths
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok well, it makes a difference. If the domains are in the same forest, then they will already have a two way transitive (both domains trust eachother) trust relationship.

Note, this is from my Windows 2000 studies but i doubt much has changed.

The source and more info on trusts can be found here..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...erv/reskit/deploy/dgbe_sec_ztsn.mspx?mfr=true

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)