Question on UBUNTU Install ????????

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Co9, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Good Morning All,

Have just created a live cd of UBUNTU which won't boot from the optical drive unless I change the boot order in set up. I want to be able to use the disk if there is a problem with an installed operating system that won't boot and use the UBUNTU to retrieve and backup data - the program with UBUNTU to enable the system to automatically boot from optical drive installs so far then says something about permissions and therefore unable to go on any further - so have been forced to change boot order in set up to access. Any ideas to solve will be much appreciated.

The other question is - if I opt to install UBUNTU on HDD will it wipe out Windows Vista currently installed or look for a vacant partition ? I have created one for this purpose. So will it give options as to where to install ?????

thankyou for your help and assistance in advance

Kind regards

Co9:D:D:D

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you install it in a spare partition.

if you install it in a spare partition then you will get the option to boot to windows or linux after POST.

MOst people I know who boot from the cd go into the bios and change the boot order to boot from cd I don't know if there is any other way atleast I have never heard of one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Ah, I understand what you're saying now I think. No, you can't run ubuntu from within another OS, you have to boot from the CD and to do that you need to change the boot order in BIOS.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You do not have to install Ubuntu to use it to troubleshoot, you can boot of the live CD and run purely in memory and off the CD.

You need not install. If you do install you can install into a seperate partition or even disk.

You can also create a virtual filesystem inside a windows partiton and run Ubuntu from that.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Yes you need to have the CD in the boot order in the BIOS before the primary HD to boot from a live CD.
    You can leave this option on if you like and simply ensure the CD drive is empty on boot, to boot off the HD.

It's pretty straight forward and well explained on the Ubuntu site.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

yep, Wubi has to be the simplest method of installation to date.
    There are some issues with it, although i am sure they will be ironed out as they usually are.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Just like to thank you all for your input yesterday - much appreciated

All the best

Co9:D:D:D

WIP: A+