Question on software for routing on a server.

Discussion in 'Networks' started by dave_gray2077, Nov 3, 2009.

1. dave_gray2077

dave_gray2077 Bit Poster

I'm currently looking at some network design's for small business about 500 users.

This is just for my degree so not a real situation.

Firstly for a network this small. Is a distribution layer really needed?

I was thinking with only 500 users the normal processing that would be conducted by layer 3 switches in the distribution layer could be moved to the core. With the core consisting of a virtual server running web apps etc but also conducting the inter VLAN routing etc.

Im dubipous on the scaling of this method but am intersted in looking into it from a cost effective solution. Any one got an software names that will give me a start.

Iv found Vrouter by Vyatta. will this interVLAN routeing etc form a virtual server on to actual physical switches?

Any software names, hits will be appreciated. Im just a noob learning.

Iv found Vrouter by Vyatta. will this interVLAN roouter etc form a virtual server on to actual physical switches?

Any software names, hits will be appriciated. Im just a noob learning.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA, Fd Degree, BSC (hon).
    WIP: MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on where your users are located, how your departments are segmented, how much and what kinds of traffic they're sending, etc.

I'd recommend Cisco. I've used Foundry, and they're OK, but I'd recommend sticking with what works. I'd avoid like the plague any no-name brands like the one you mention.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!