Question on security

Discussion in 'A+' started by co.ador, Feb 24, 2011.

1. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

I have the permission inheritance gray out or dimmed out in Windows vista. How can I activate it ? the Check box for permission inheritance seems to be checked but it is dimmed out and I can't uncheck it.

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Click Advanced under the file/folder security tab, then select "Change Permissions" you'll then be able to set it there

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

I have this folder called EJEM

Then I clicked on the properties,

General---- Sharing--- Security----Customize

Clicked on the Security tab and I have Group or user names Authenticated users, System, Administrators and USers

Before hitting advance on the permission For ? Should I click Authenticated Users, Administrators or what?

I am really confused I even Modified the Regedit on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --- SYSTEM --- CurrentControlSet --- Control -- FileSystem --- NtfsDisableEncryption to the value of 0 which indicates it is enable and still it will be gray out after reseting the machine for the recent changes in the Register. I have done somethings and still the options is checked but gray-out uchhhh.

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

it doesnt matter which one you select, it has no relevance on what happens when you click on the advanced button. Once in advanced, you can select a role and click add or edit to set the appropriate permissions, or add new users, etc

Greyed out options are being inherited from parent objects. You can override them, by unticking the inherit from parents tickbox on the advanced screen.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Fergal is correct but I am confused as to what you actually want to achieve please enlighten us?

Are you trying to stop someone from seeing this folder or only allowing certain rights to a user?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Yep, and after this it usually asks if you want to remove the permissions or copy them. Choose copy to keep the permissions as they are but now you can add, edit or remove permissionas as you like.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

really I don't know if it is supposed to be dimmed out always.

@ greenbrucellee What I am trying to achieved is to understand the following scenario I am logged on as a administrator and trying to set permissions for a folder but the options are dimmed out.

Now I understand what you saying guys is that if Permissions for X user are dimmed out on allow or deny then I should go to Advance under the security tab select advance, then select the user I want and then click the Button Edit and then click on the user again and click edit. Then I will be able to edit the permission right there.

Well, I want to say I was confusing the meaning of the scenario, now that's was not I was trying to ask you. I was wondering the advance button under the General Tab. When I click on advance under the general tab there are four options the and the fourth "Encrypt folder to secure data" is Dimmed out. I can't get that active, I went to the regedit and activated the value to 0, restart the computer and still the option won't come out of the gray out state.

what can I do to make that option checkable?

8. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

Hey guys, I don't know if this is true, But I have read that If the check nbox for Encrypt Contents to Secure Data is dimmed out is becuase the version of Windows does not support that feature or encryption. I am using Vista Home I think this version is kind of limited. I was also looking for Bitlocker in the Control Panel and didn't find it on this version.

It seems that the Windows vista Home edition is limited and doesn't use that much Security features.

9. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Correct, i think it's ultimate edition you need. It's the same with Windows 7 also.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

it is the same for all windows home editions. Certain things you cant do because windows xp home cant join a domain and I think its the same for windows vista so there is no point in being able to set NTFS permissions for users that wont exsist.

If you want to mess about with multiple users and permissions then you need windows vista pro, business or ultimate. if you want to do stuff like that on xp then you need xp pro.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, it wasn't designed to, because it's designed for use by home users... not IT professionals or business people with confidential data to protect. If you want BitLocker encryption, it is available only in Vista Enterprise (unavailable for retail purchase) and Vista Ultimate.

Basic file system encryption is available with Windows Vista Home Premium. You can't expect Vista Home Basic to have all the bells and whistles... if those features are important to you, they come at a cost. It's really no different from buying a car; a low-budget car isn't going to have heated seats and a sunroof.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

Excellent input guys!

The name says it Windows vista Home.

13. MrHardy

MrHardy New Member

Or Enterprise - Enterprise and Ultimate are exactly the same except for the licensing; Enterprise can use one product key on multiple computers as to simplify setting up large networks, especially when using imaging such as with the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) or Symantic Ghost etc.

:)

Certifications: MCITP, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+
  14. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Indeed,

Unfortunately i get to maintain OSD / SCCM on a daily basis at work :blink

15. BosonMichael

That is not quite accurate. Enterprise does not include some features found in Windows Vista Home Premium, such as Windows Media Center, integrated DVD authoring, and preinstalled games. In addition, Enterprise does not include some features found in Ultimate, such as native DVD ripping support, native podcast creation support, and WinSAT.

In summary:
    Home Premium is NOT a subset of Business/Enterprise
    Home Premium = Home Basic + extras
    Enterprise = Business + extras
    Ultimate = Home Premium + Enterprise + extras

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. MrHardy

MrHardy New Member

Oh really? Sorry about that. I'm MCITP in Windows 7, so perhaps it is in Windows 7 but not Vista - I'll do some research.

Certifications: MCITP, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+
  17. BosonMichael

No worries - glad to be of assistance! :)