Question on POST beep errors

Discussion in 'A+' started by co.ador, Mar 2, 2011.

1. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

I have read that Different motherboard and Bios are configured in different ways so the POST beeps configuration will be different as well.

I have read that two beeps after three four or five beeps will be memory problems but in another system will be different?

Now for the A+ plus how that will work?

I am reading a book that gives specific details on the beeps and the different errors they mean depending on the amount of beeps.

I was wondering if there is an standard table guys where I can based on for the A+ exam?

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I doubt they've included beep codes in the A+ simply because they aren't standardised and no one manufacturer has a virtual monopoly like MS have with OSs. They certainly* weren't included before and I see no reason why they might add them in now.

*certainly=no study material I used mentioned them other than in passing, and I never saw any in practice exams either.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Without putting too fine a point on it I would recommend you learn the Beep codes if you're studying towards your 220-702.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you wont get questions like what are the beep codes for memory related problems on a dell computer and what are memory relate beeps on a HP computer. Learning the standard beeps may help you though although I never got any questions on beep codes.

co.ador I know its good to learn but some of the questions you have asked recently are well beyond what you will get asked in your A+ exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

[​IMG]

The Beep Codes Viewer is a simple tool that will explain the BIOS error beep codes for all the main PC BIOS manufacturers (AMI, AWARD, Phoenix, IBM). If you’ve ever had a PC fail its power-on self-test then you’ll know how useful this can be. Typically you’ll just get some pattern of beeps – one long and three short, say – and then be left hunting for your system manual to find out what these noises could possibly mean.

With the Beep Code Viewer, though, it’s all very different. The program is portable, so save it to a USB flash drive and you can launch it from just about any PC. Then choose your BIOS type (it may say on the boot screen, if you still get one), and click on the beep code you’re hearing for a detailed description of what it’s trying to tell you, and how to fix the problem.

http://www.rizone3.com/archives/378

Won't be very useful on the A+ exam though :p

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  7. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

Thank you Brucelee, I have bought a question and answer book on the A+ plus and it is going good. This matter on beep code was a little confused because I later found out that all the computer companies builder has different beep code maps. Any how the book makes some references on some beeps codes like what it meens when the computers during POST make one beep follow by three, four or five beeps. Since it did some references to Beep codes then I decided to ask it here.

Simon great program on beep codes, I will try that one.

It is going well I am reviewing the book and I am getting it little by little.

Good luck to all of you in the way.