Question on how you learnt about IT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, May 7, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

so there are some seasoned vets here who have been in IT before the birth of christ and at one point you would have been a novice, you may have known how to use a computer but wouldnt have known how to fix one or troubleshoot a network, setup a server etc. Id like to know how did you learn all these things? Did anyone train you? I currently work on a helpdesk and tbh I have had next to no training, when I get server related issues and some networking issues I struggle like mad and often get into a panic. If its a simple OS issue or hardware I feel like a God fixing their issue instantly. I basically need to get to grips with networking which I am not that concerned about tbh as I do have some basic knowledge enough to often get by, but server related issues basically consist of me blagging like crazy and hoping for the best, when dealing with these issues I litterally do not know where to start or what I am even looking at..

I can only assume you were once in my shoes so really Im looking for advice.

Thanks

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I started out aged 14 trying to learn the CLI on AmigaDOS, also bit AMOS basic, 68k assembler, then college.

I must spent hours trying to teach myself various things in those early days, and i rarely gave up even if a basic problem took 4 hours.

Apart from college I class myself as almost entirely self taught, would have loved to have had a mentor and not 20 years hard graft, but that is just not how it worked out, and I suspect that is pretty common.

Often the times when you are struggling with a tough problem is when you learn the most.

When the internet was in its infancy I used to try to read lots of books to learn, now I do a lot of online CBT's. The resources now are amazing, there are online answers for almost everything, all it takes is a willingness to learn.

3. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

For me, it's what came naturally to me. Having early exposure to IT and also having a keen interest. I'm completely self-taught and have done well for myself, but I should be further on in my career than I currently am.

I echo this, willingness to learn is something I'm lacking at the moment.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+