Question - MCDST \ Exam 70-270

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by chriswoo, Mar 25, 2008.

1. chriswoo

chriswoo New Member

I have a question regarding MCDST exams (271 / 272) and exam 70-270. Last week i passed 70-271 to complete the MCDST as i did them the wrong way round!

How close is the 70-270 to the two MCDST exams? In other words as i'm all prep'd would i be able to book the 270 exam and have a reasonable chance of passing it or is it a different skill set meaning i would have to go through the process of preparing / studying again?

The reason i ask is that we have a small financial reward in our company for passing exams and if i could cash in it would be a good chance to do so!

If there is anyone out there who has done 270, 271 and 272 and could advise i would be grateful!

thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

70-270 is another step up entirely. It is NOT simply a combination of what you have learned with the 70-271 and 70-272 exams. You will definitely need to study for it.

Should you pursue 70-270? If you currently administer Windows XP workstations in a domain environment, then certainly! If not... well, it's passable, but it won't be easy. Since 70-270 is the first exam in the MCSA track, you should know that Microsoft recommends 6-12 months of admin experience before pursuing it.

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. chriswoo

chriswoo New Member

Thanks for the response, what i haven't mentioned is that i already have 70-620 pass so i don't need to take the 70-270 for the MCSA track. It's just for completness really (and the cash!).

4. BosonMichael

Does your employer give you cash bonuses for passing certification exams?

I'd agree that 70-270 is worth taking, if for no other reason than learning things you might not have otherwise known or worked with in the past. XP will likely be around for many years to come, and it's important to know the ins and outs of it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. chriswoo

chriswoo New Member

Yes, i get a little reward for passing an exam. It's an incentive so we retain out Microsoft Gold Partner status. I think i'm going to go for it anyway!

6. BosonMichael

Sweet! Good luck with the exam! :)

7. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I took the 271,272 then 270. I found it a much harder exam and also found it covered a lot of different topics that weren't in the MCDST.

Having said that I did a lot less revision for the 270 than the MCDST. I'd recommend hitting some practice exams and seeing how u fare. If u breeze those then go for it, if not brush up on those topics that you failed on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  8. chriswoo

chriswoo New Member

Thanks Lev - i thought you may say that, anyway i have booked the exam for the end of the month so i better get stuck in to the revision. Are there any specific practice exams you would recommend?

9. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I revised from the MS-Press book (well I was meant to). The book is pretty big especially if your going to do the exam at the end of the month. Having said that the CD that comes with it is excellent and provides some mock tests. I tend to find these a little bit on the hard side but useful for finding out where you are.

I think the book is <&#163;30 so might be worth picking up a copy for the practice test and also to have a look @ exactly what the exam covers. If anyone at your work has the book they'd probably lend you the CD as it just has the book in PDF format and the practice exam questions (not sure on the legalities of this)

I was quite lucky as our company use Skillsoft as an online provider. Which meant I could watch the videos for free (which is a lot easier and quicker than reading a book (on the negatives its also not as in depth).

Aside from that I went onto the MS recommended site for a practice test.

By the way if you have booked recently I think microsoft are still doing the second shot offer. So if you haven't already then use one of those. That way if you don't pass you get to try again for free :-D.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  10. BosonMichael

You probably want to be sure on those legalities. Copying the PDF and practice exam from the CD to your hard drive would likely be a copyright violation. That said, that all depends on what their usage terms are. I'd be surprised if they would allow free distribution of the electronic version of their book - would this not damage their sales?

If it's sounds like it wouldn't be legal... it probably isn't. :)

11. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

What about an opposite situation.. if you pass 270 does this mean 271 / 272 should be no trouble at all ? or is it even worth doing after?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT
    WIP: Server+
  12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

if you did the 270 first the 271 should be reasonable (however the exam names give you a clue that they are different support (271) and administer (270). the 272 however revolves heavily around office xp/2003 so you need to know how that works (from sys requirements to what is in the tools/options menus. so you proberbly will need to study for that one.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Good answer dales, totally agree. Rep added!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

cheers Modey!:biggrin

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  15. BosonMichael

As dales said, they both focus on XP, but different aspects of it. Thus, they're different, and should be studied independently. Don't assume that by learning one, you're studying for all three... it just doesn't work that way. :)

16. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

Yea sure I know what your saying.. I might give 271 a go first, based on 270 + the fact ive been supporting XP in a temp basis for years. I will need to brush up on office support thou for sure, then try 272.

17. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

Well Ive booked 271 for tomorrow after trying some practice exams and getting 90-95% in them all.

18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Good luck. Take your time reading the questions and I reckon you will be fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

Just back from the exam..got 900 ! woohoo!

Now to order the book for 272 - my office support needs a lot of work :)

20. BosonMichael

Congrats!