Question concerning drops

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by NetEyeBall, Jan 4, 2007.

1. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

I am getting a couple SNMP traps on drops on a Gig connection. Looks like output drops to me. From what I could research it is due to network congestion, although that seems somewhat unlikely as it is full duplex speed 1000 on the port and the network is fairly speedy. Wan speed is usually 3 meg circuits.

Any suggestions? I am not really worried about the drops since I feel that the SNMP trap was triggered by a cumulative counter threshold being reached. Which could have taken years to achieve. But still it would be nice to know what additional reasons might cause input or output drops on an Ethernet connection.

:biggrin

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  2. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Normally you will not see drops from the output queue on a gig interface. The place to start is to get a bit more information.

What sort of interface is it, e.g. on a switch or router? What is it connected to, and is there any QoS on the interface? What is the cpu/memory load on the device? Are there any other errors on the device or interface (e.g. large numbers of runts or crc errors)? Are there any errors on the device on the other side of the link? Are you seeing any buffer misses on the device?

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  3. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

No CRC errors, or runts but I will have to check all the rest. It was on a switch. I thought it odd too, but I will definately look more closely tonight!

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall