Question about xp, 2000 and vista,7

Discussion in 'A+' started by dood, Jan 2, 2011.

1. dood

dood New Member

Hi there,

This is a noob question so apologies if this has been asked before (I checked the threads, couldn't find an answer.)

I have the 7th ed of mike meyers, do I have to revise stuff concerning xp/2000? Only vista/7 stuff is relevant to 701 and 702 exams right?

Since this is a mega size text book I am trying to go through it as quick as I can. I am a slow reader so that doesnt help! Trying to do it within a 2 month time frame.

Thanks!

2. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

A+ touches on 2000, XP AND Vista. It dosn't go into 7 at all.

2 Months should be enough time, of course it does come down to personal situation, family and job hours etc.
    But as long as you tackle it with a decent amount of dicipline and determination its deffinatly doable. (However many hours per day etc)

I used the the same book and I thought it was great, considered one of the best for A+ so you have good material

Best of luck!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Looks like that's changed.

From the people themselves
    " Operating Systems and Software - Unless otherwise noted, operating systems
    referred to within include Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional, XP Home, XP
    MediaCenter, Windows Vista Home, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate, Windows 7
    Starter, Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate
    "

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Regardless of whether they are included in the objectives or not, if your goal is simply to pass an exam, sure, knock yourself out by studying the bare minimum.

If your goal is to actually be a capable Tech, then perhaps you should consider that XP is still the dominant business OS, and that Win2k setups still exist (Hell, some of our live app servers at work are still win2k servers - although that should be rectified to 2008 soon enough).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Very fair point, plus as I said, unless you have a very busy lifestyle, I think 2 months to cover the whole book and revise is perfectly reasonable.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You study everything in the book and in the objectives, no more no less.

Plus as Fergal said your goal should not be to pass an exam or two but to learn and gain a good foundation of knowledge.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

In studying the a+ too, got the dummies guide as i didn't know about this meyer book. It a big boy at 1200 pages give or take but i have read every page so far and am near the end. it's amazing the amount of stuff that's in there and this is just a basic test! most of it is pretty easy to absorb but i will need to re read the command line stuff and associated addresses section again and possibly the networking. The practice exams are good and show how your progressing. i also like the labs section which gives you exercises to do on either your own or a virtual machine.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  8. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

It's a very good book, try not to get too intimidated by the size of any of the books you may read. If you keep plugging away, you'll get there in the end. :biggrin

A lot of the content is more than you need to know for the test, but i've found if you go into more detail than required, it cements you're understanding of what you do need to know a lot better.

9. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

indeed, there was a small section that te book points out that you don't need to know about creating batch files. I read a bit of it but then got a little lost so i skipped it. Will probably go back to it after i pass but i'm going to do all the labs. I done the one in the command line where you create directories and assign attributes to files then edit them via the edit command. quite enjoyed it although it was really simple. The fact that i've done it rather than read it helps understand the commands a lot more

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  10. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Yeah I found with the command line trying it helps a lot, I had the cd-rom e-book open one side and comand line the other which I found pretty useful

11. dood

dood New Member

I work late hours so sometimes its difficult to set aside time to study.

I get why its good to revise everything, to have a rounded knowledge of IT tech stuff.
    But with the job I have, I need to read and absorb it in one go rather than taking my time. I know that sounds like I am not appreciating what IT techs do....I guess I can always read it completely when I finish the exam.

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Look on the bright side. Vista and Windows 7 are practically identical at the A+ level (apart from libraries there are only minor tweaks) and the chances of getting a 2000 question are pretty small. That gives you 2 OS's to learn well enough to pass.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

Guys, what OS do you suggest I have on my actual PC at home when studying for the A+? Is there a way around buying a cheap PC to play with just so you can learn about a different OS? I currently have a laptop running Vista... any ideas? Can I still learn about another OS without actually having a copy of it? :-/

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not download virtual pc and get some evaluation copies of the operating systems from microsoft or technet and then you can mess around with them without damaging your pc. XP and later should be ok for you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?