Question about USMT and Files and Settings Transfer

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Arroryn, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm not far into the MCDST book and I've picked up on these two... they seem to be classic examples of things that can slip you by when you get into a work routine!

In short, one of the things we deal with on first line a lot is user data transfer - when a laptop is on its knees for example, we need to do a clean and comprehensive transfer of user data.

The Files and Settings transfer wizard seems simple enough, but it doesn't 'grab' as many files as I'd need, and I'm not sure if you can automate the process.

The User State Migration Tool on the other hand looks to be exactly what I want with regards to automating a data transfer, but it too complicated for me to get my head round automating...

So in short, is there a (simpler?) way of creating a script that I can plop on a PC and run to transfer a set number of files in static directories (in the respect that the custom directories I'd need to grab are the same on every PC we deploy) and move these files to a set network share?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

Edit the script with what you need to copy.The example below is copying all .txt files from a directory.
    Code:
    Const OverwriteExisting = TRUE

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    objFSO.CopyFile "C:\FSO\*.txt" , "D:\Archive\" , OverwriteExisting

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Thank you very much :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA