Question about printer drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by demarrer, Sep 4, 2008.

1. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Hi,

Can anyone help? Working on server 2003 and the printer driver we have installed for the HP laserjet is the 2007 version on the server. We had originally upgraded the server to the 2008 HP driver, but after too many problems we reverted back.

Many of the client computer have the upgrade installed. I thought could delete the printer and reconnect the printer and the od 2007 driver would copy accross from the server. This is not the case and the 2008 driver remains on the client system. Does anyone know how to resolve this, why doesn't the old driver copy?

Any thoughts most grateful....
    Yours Confused,

H

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Because simply deleting a printer from printers and faxes doesn't remove the driver!

How To:-

Go to Printers & Faxes.
    Delete the printer configuration in question.
    Go to File --> Server Properties
    Go to the Drivers tab. You will be presented with a list of drivers.
    Select a Driver and press the "Remove" button.
    Afterwards, reboot if possible and reinstall the 'new' driver.

Hope this helps. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Tried to delete it, but it says it unable to delete printer driver.

It's not my day today. :(

4. Qs

Sounds like the files are currently in use then.

Reboot, then try.

Else, reboot into Safe mode (hit F8 before windows splash screen and choose the appropriate option) then try.

Let us know what happens.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

yeah thats right. I tried to do it by stopping the print spooler, however I could access server properties.

I'll try it in safe mode. cheers for the help, I'll let you know.

H

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

From the OP, I think what he means is that when you change or update the driver on the server it is supposed to also update on the client's as well automagically. So reverting back to the old drive on the server should also downgrade the drivers on the clients after a while. It may well be that on the print server you still have the upgraded drivers installed and as they are technically newer they are not reverting to the previous driver. you will need to do as Qs says to get rid of print drivers that are locked, but obviously on a server it may be worth restarting the print spooler instead to see if that removes the lock on the files and trying again rather than brining the whole server down for a while.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

If you stop the print spooler you will loose your connection to the printers hence you wont be able to do anything with them, restarting the spooler is proberbly the best idea to try first.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  8. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Thanks dales. What you described is exactly what I thought would happen - the driver on the client automagically :) upgrades/downgrades according to what's on the server.

I'll check the server out to see if there is any 2008 drivers lurking....

9. Qs

I skipped a bit of information in my original post (probably due to me being annoyed and tired -I have to stay an extra 3 hours at work unpaid tonight... grrrr.....) but yeah, dales filled in the blanks.

:)

Qs

10. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

....one more thing. If I upgrade or downgrade a print driver does this change happen also on the client machines without having to delete and reconnect the printer.
    I was just thinking, that if I was administrator for about 5000 people, reinstalling uninstalling the printer one each machine would take quite a while !!
    :ohmy

11. Qs

As far as I'm aware (don't quote me on it) - you'd need to remove the printer and re-add it.

If I were you I'd do this in the form of a script that's run on logon for each user as it makes it far easier.

12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I think this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732946.aspx#BKMK_UpdateDrivers under update printer drivers suggests that when clients attempt to print they detect an updated driver and download them. I'll test it out on my lab in a bit and see what happens.

I'm hoping that clients have to match the driver that the server is running and not just say ooh look my drivers newer than the one on the server I wont bother downloading that one.

13. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yep just been testing it my client pc downloads or changes driver the next time you try to do anything with the printer (either printing with it or going into the properties or summint), you can see the printer on the client hang for a second whilst it thinks about what its got to do.

14. Qs

Nice update, I'm sure it helps the OP :) +rep

15. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

cheers for going to so much effort :)

So your client PC follows what ever is on the server? i.e even if the client pc has a more up to date driver than the server it still downgrades the driver according to the server?

If thats what you are saying, that's what I thought should happen too!!! Somethings are never straight forward!!

Thanks for the article. I'll have a read. I was wondering that maybe the set up of permissions is preventing the client from updating? Is your client computer in the lab running with an administrator account?

.... I think its time I need to start reading about server 2003....

16. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

The drivers still seem to quite happily update on the client even if you are just logged in as a standard user.:biggrin

17. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

18. Qs