Question about MS Certs

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by steveh2001, Oct 1, 2006.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hey guys.

Have done a little investigation in MS certs, and wondered if someone could confirm what i think is correct!

Im still a while away from doing these (got n+ to finish, then security+). But correct me if im wrong, for example, the MCSA/MCSE exam can include, if you choose, the 70-270 MCP in XP. I hear people at work who are qualified as MCP in XP, is this the same thing? I.e. doing 1 part of the MCSE/MSCA also makes you an MCP in XP? So bearing in mind im not 100% sure what MS cert i want to do, i.e. mcsa/mcse, i think doing the XP cert is a good starting point, this is effectivly a seperate certiifcation, and a part of the larger certification? Also ill have the A+ N+ and security + hopefully which also count for a unit!

Thanks for any help :D hope all that makes sense!

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Bit confusing, but yes, you can put 270 (MCP installing/configuring XP) towards an MCSE or MCSA.
    A+ N+ can also go towards an MCSA.
    Security+ can go towards MCSE + Security.

271 and 272 are also XP exams which give you MCDST.

MCSE is not an exam as such, but a collection of exams.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

MCSA is composed of 1 client OS exam, 2 network OS exams, and 1 elective.

MCSE is 1 client exam, 4 networking OS exams, 1 design exam, and one elective exam.

Now for MCSA the A+ in combination with N+ counts as an elective. These 2 exams do not count as an elective towards MCSE.

For MCSE the electives are security+ and this other exam the microsoft calls Unisys which is "Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Solutions in the Data Center"

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Thansk for the explination guys -

Sorry for the lack of clarity, what i was trying to get at, is from seeing people at work who say they are "MCP in MS XP" I wasnt sure whether this is the title you gain after doing the XP option from the MSCE/MCSA exams, but i think it is now.

And it defiently seems to be a good option to finish the N+ and security+ then head to the XP client exam, as either the A/N and the XP would count for 1 exam from the MCSA and the security+/XP would count for the MCSE.

Just sort of planning ahead!! Hadnt done much research into the MS certs before, seems such a long way of!

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?