Question about Linux Releases

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by michael78, Nov 11, 2005.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Feel like I'm being a pain with all my questions at the momment :biggrin but here it goes. When you download a linux distro like say SUSE 9.1 when the next version comes out can you update from 9.1 to 10 through updates online or do you have to download the updated distro and do a reinstall.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. techguy

techguy Bit Poster

Hello slypie,
    You don't need to download a complete rpm package to upgrade from a lower version to higher version.

For example If you have SuSE 9.0 and want to upgrade it to SuSE 10.0, then all you need to do is, download specially designed RPMs called Patch RPMs and update the previously installed RPMs.

For more information, visit here: http://www.novell.com/linux/download/updates/100_i386.html

Best regards,
    TechGuy.

Certifications: MCSAS,MCSES,MCDBA,MCAD.NET,MCSD.NET,CCNA
    WIP: C|EH,CISSP,CISM
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Cheers Techguy just getting into Linux now and this question has been bugging me for awhile now. Hopefully I can start to get to grips with Linux.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011