Question about it essentials / comptia

Discussion in 'A+' started by zr79, Feb 14, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

You will only understand this question if you are doing comptia through cisco netacad..

So i am doing cisco it essentials and comptia, so we have 16 chapters to get through and have an end of chapter multiple test after each chapter and then a 1-10 chap test and 11-16 chap test which i am told these 2 exams count to your final comptia mark.

So,

1) Are these 16 chapters BOTH it essentials and comptia or is this just the it essentials part of it?

2) How many questions are there in the 1-10 exam and 11-16 exam ?

Certifications: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This is obviously something to do with the course you are on. Why not ask your tutor? some training provider want you to pass all A+ exams when infact you only need to pass tow exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Think my trainee was doing Cisco IT essentials as part of his apprenticeship a year or more ago. He was doing it along with an NVQ in IT through the local college. Are you doing something similar? Perhaps as GBL says it would be best to have a word with the lecturer or training provider and get this direct from them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

zr79,

I am a graduate of the Cisco Networking Academy through the CCNA curriculum and the Fundamentals of Wireless LANs courses, however I haven't personally taken the IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software course because I was already A+ certified prior to beginning the CCNA curriculum. However, I will try to help as much as I can.

You are currently a student in the Cisco Networking Academy course called "IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software." The IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software course has been authorized by CompTIA that "...,such training material covers the content of CompTIA's related certification exam." Therefore, you are currently a Cisco student but not directly a CompTIA student. Therefore, I'm concerned when you state "...count to your final comptia mark" because you are not directly a CompTIA student.

Source:
    1. CompTIA Authorized Quality Curriculum (CAQC) - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/downloads/pdf/CAQC.pdf

In order to help clarify what seems to be your confusion, let's be clear of the relationship between the course, the course materials, the related CompTIA exams, and finally CompTIA A+ certification.
    1. Cisco Networking Academy
      1. IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software
        1. The above course helps you become CompTIA A+ certified

Now, let's look at how the IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software course is related to the CompTIA A+ certification exams...

1. Cisco Networking Academy
      1. IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software
        1. Chapters 1-10 cover the following skills and competencies:
          1. Core competencies in the latest hardware and software technologies
          2. Information security skills
          3. Safety and environmental issues
          4. Soft skills for career development
            1. The above materials helps you prepare for the 220-601: CompTIA A+ Essentials exam
        2. Chapters 11-16 cover the following skills and competencies:
          1. Advanced troubleshooting skills
          2. Prepares for all three CompTIA job environments certification exams
          3. Advanced installation of computers, peripheral devices, networks and security components
            1. The above materials helps you prepare for the:
              1. 220-602: IT Technician exam
              2. 220-603: Remote Support Technician exam
              3. 220-604: Depot Technician exam

So to answer your question, the 220-601: CompTIA A+ Essentials exams does NOT cover ALL 16 chapters. The 220-601: CompTIA A+ Essentials exam only covers chapters 1 through 10. The material for the 220-602: IT Technician exam, the 220-603: Remote Support Technician exam, and the 220-604: Depot Technician exam are covered by chapters 11 through 16 of the IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software course in the Cisco Networking Academy. Did I answer your question?

Source:
    1. Data Sheet for the "IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software Version 4.0" course in the Cisco Networking Academy - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/downloads/pdf/ITEssentialsDS.pdf

I do not know the answer to your question because I've never taken the IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software course. Here are some links for the IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software course in the Course Catalog for the Cisco Networking Academy as well as some Frequently Asked Questions about the course.

Source:
    1. "IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software" course information in the Course Catalog for the Cisco Networking Academy - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/course_catalog/IT1.html
    2. Cisco Networking Academy Program - IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software v4.0 - Frequently Asked Questions - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/downloads/pdf/ITE1FAQ.pdf

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Well i have done exactly what you are doing,i did my A+ essentials college course under cisco,so i can answer the questions for you.

The tests you are doing at college have nothing at all to do with the proper A+ exams,you could fail every single college test month after month yet still successfully pass the A+ exams.

The tests,of which there are around 12 in total,which you sit week in week out are to gauge how well you understand the subjects,if your score is low,under 60% for example you may be asked by your teacher to sit the test again,so you sit these tests time after time until you do chapter 10 then comes the first big exam ,you have another big exam after chapter 16.This equals two big exams and you'll get one pc hardware exam.

If you have done well every week in your tests and are always achieving at least 60% to 70% ,and did well in both exams and your hardware exam then you have passed the course and get a small certificate at the end saying Such and such passed their college tuition,and completed the course in a satisfactory manner.

This certifcate says you have passed the course,it does not mean anything in terms of the A+,you can't go to an employer with that certificate and say "look, i passed my A+ essentials" because you haven't passed at all.

The course is a preparation for the A+,at the end of college you are in the exact same position as the guy who sits at home self studying.As they also have to book their exams at an external test centre which you will have to do.

On the final day at college your teacher will explain to you how to book your A+ exams at a test centre [which could be many miles away from the college].They will also explain how to get the exams at the half the usual price.You pay £65 each for the exams,even if you are unemployed you still pay the £65 each.

It is only once you pass two exams at the test centre that you will have passed your A+.

2) How many questions are there in the 1-10 exam and 11-16 exam ?

As for this question the exam for chapter 10
    i think it is 80 questions
    the exam for chapter 16
    is 70 or 80 questions

i got 80% for both these tests but i don't know the exact number of questions,the exams were at a medium difficulty level,not too hard.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Thanks guys, particulary r.h.lee and del_port.

So we were told that the 1-10 test and 11-16 test actually counted to our "final exam" now i think what he means is that we have to pass the college course before we are allowed to sit the A+ as we are getting a good part of the actual A+ paid for us if not all of it. So we have to be at a good standard before we are allowed to sit the A+.. so hence the intentional vagueness regarding what exactly is the "final exam" (is it the final college exam or the A+ exam etc..).

Ok so does the it essentials 1-16 covers everything in the A+ becuase i have been doing some quizes at some quiz site that say the questions are for A+ but a lot of the questions are not covered in our course although they are pretty similar?

How likely will it be that we get questions in the A+ that were not covered at college??

7. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Yes your final college exam,which isn't a proper A+ exam,it's a preparation course only.

The preparation is done at college so that you go off to an external test centre any time you like in the year ahead and have a full understanding of any exam question you will be asked.

As you can see next to my username i am still waiting to do the second part of my A+ exam,i finished my A+ Cisco training at college in january 2008,i received my college certificate in march 2008 to say i had passed the course.
    That certificate i received means very little to me,it just says i attended and passed the course,it's not important.

I then went on to do exam 601 at an external test centre miles away from college,and the next part of my A+ exam i will be sitting soon.Only once i pass that 604 exam will i be able to say i have passed the A+.

In your case you can sit exam 602 or exam 603 ,you don't need to do 604 like me,i am doing it for my own reasons.

"Ok so does the it essentials 1-16 covers everything in the A+ becuase i have been doing some quizes at some quiz site that say the questions are for A+ but a lot of the questions are not covered in our course although they are pretty similar"

Yes every single part of chapter 1 to 16 is covered in your course,which is why you get a big test after reading chapter 1 to 9 and you get the next big test after doing chapters 9 to 16.

You should also have a large book which covers certain information on exams 602,603 and 604.

If you don't recognise questions on any practice quizzes on websites check that they are for the A+ 2006.

If you see lots of references to windows 95 and windows 98,even windows 2000 in the questions that is the old A+ material from years ago.

For this question
    "How likely will it be that we get questions in the A+ that were not covered at college"

No chance really,you should recognise every single exam question,as the college course covers absolutley every possible scenario.It is 100 hours of teaching after all.

"so hence the intentional vagueness regarding what exactly is the "final exam" (is it the final college exam or the A+ exam etc.."

The final exam that he is referring to is your college exam,not the A+ exam.
    The teachers are vague to keep you on your toes and get the best possible effort from you,if you do well they will also do well.

If say you have 40 students and 40 pass the college exam that reflects well on the teacher.

Not everyone leaves college and actually does the A+ exam,some people only go along to learn pc repair and they don't do their A+ exam at all.

Say for instance you felt bored after chapter 10 of the college course and said i'm finished with this i won't come back.Fine,you don't get the college certificate.
    But you are still free to sit the A+ exam.

You lose out on the half price exams offer because you left college,but you can of course just contact any exam centre ,Prometric for example ,and say i would like to book exams 601 and 602

they'll charge you full price for each exam,£130 each i think,but they won't say have you sat a college course.

The people self studying are doing exactly that,they are studying at home,then phoning a test centre to arrange the exam time.

8. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

thanks again del_port.

So after college, how quickly can you book the A+, it seems from what you've said and another poster said your looking at a few months, i would rather do it ASAP?

I suppose it's mainly up to the college though if they are funding it.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Why don't you just take the two A+ exams now then, you don't have to be on a course to do the exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

think about it.

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

?? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

If you are getting the whole lot for free,including free A+ exams [which isn't something we usually hear of on here] ,put in the effort at college is what i'd say to you.

The course will teach you everything you need to pass the exams.Ask them if you can take the exams soon after college ends if you want.

Surely you can't be bored already with it? it's a great course.

College will advise you to start studying after the last day of college and try for the exams any time after the first month after you have left.

But you are free to do the exams anytime after college finishes,i doubt that they will let you take them any time before that.

The alternative is find £260 and pay for the exams just now at a test centre.Personally i'd wait to get them for free and try and enjoy the course.

I waited to take my exams as i was skint,and i needed to pay for them myself,so i paid for one,passed that one,then waited for a long time before i paid for the next one.

And the thing you said earlier about the college putting people forward for the A+ ,i wonder what the chance is that they put everyone forward to take exams and it has all been a bluff to get the best effort out of the students?It wouldn't surprise me.
    Unless they actually do have a small exam budget tucked away for the best students.

Basically very few people are left to fail at college,if you are having difficulty understanding the material they will devote more time to helping you.

Only if you don't turn up,or stay away for half the course can you fail really.If you look like your are putting in the effort i'm sure they will award you a certificate.