question about cisco certificate

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by pizzatoandrea, Jul 17, 2014.

1. pizzatoandrea

pizzatoandrea New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm studying to get a master degree in software engineering but I would like to get a cisco certificate cos i noticed that a lot of companies require it and honestly I think it would help me to improve my skills. I wanted to ask you a question: do you thin it's possible to study without any course and also which kind of book would you suggest? I was thinking about getting the exam done before the end of october. do you think it's possible?
    thank you

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You're studying Software engineering and wondering about Cisco certs? What IT route are you in/thinking about going into? Programming or Support (eg networking)? Do you already have IT work experience?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Umm... why? Unless you want to drop software engineering and go in to networking why would you bother getting certified in something that's not going to help you get a role after Uni?

Also and I can't stress this enough, the CCNA \ CCNP exams are designed to prove existing experience, if you want a primer to Networking then have a look at the CCENT or Network+, don't get a certified to a level that you lack the experience of (you're not a Network Admin (it's in the NA).

I can tell you that the developers I work with don't have to worry about anything like Networking or OS based certifications because it doesn't touch their day to day technology interactions.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Some developers get away with very little knowledge of a lot of areas, typically they are application developers that rely heavily on corporate admin and simple development environments.

It really depends what type of developer you are, Cisco and Google employ lots of developers and they will generally have good networking knowledge.

Generally developers are expected to have an understanding of basic networking these days. However you don't need to certify on anything to be a good developer.

Depending on your job you could be :-

Developing network protocols
    Developing drivers for network hardware
    Writing network aware software like virus scanners, IDS, packet sniffers, network monitoring, VPN clients
    Developing distributed file systems
    Working with NoSQL, clusters, distributed caches, MPP databases, Hadoop
    Developing distributed middleware or distributed systems
    You could be working with a web server like IIS or Apache.
    You might need to know about streaming servers and content delivery networks from an expert user standpoint.
    Working with middleware or libraries related to ESB, MQ, Sockets, HTTP, MPI, SOAP, REST, CORBA, FTP
    You could also be working with serial comms of various forms, both wired and wireless, RFID, bluetooth, NFC, etc
    Writing dev-ops scripts for deployment or cluster management or other 'cloud aware' software.
    You could be simply configuring DNS names or IP addresses in your software or third party software.

There are probably many more I've missed, so in essence it depends what development job you get.

The non network aware developer is going the way of the dodo, dont be one of them !

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  5. jaronanderson

jaronanderson New Member

You have completed your software engineering than why you join the networking.Both lines are different.But if you want to learn CCNA than you can learn it.You can easily learn it through google. From their you can also get the all the details.According to me you can also follow this books also CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, Which is very helpful for you.