Question about booking exams

Discussion in 'A+' started by danpluso, Dec 16, 2009.

1. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

Hey, I have a few questions.

I'm thinking I will take both exams on the same day, so will I have to book two separate exams? If I happen to fail :ohmy the first exam is there any way to cancel the 2nd exam? Will I have to take it or lose the money I spent on it? Or can I still take the second exam, without passing the first exam, and then come back later to complete the first exam? Can I just book one exam, see if I pass it and then take the second exam right after without booking it? Providing I have an extra voucher of course.

I am planning on taking the 2006 exams sometime in January and was wondering what would happen if I passed the first exam but failed the second one and I couldn't get back in to complete it before February when they are taking the 2006 exams offline. If that happens, will that make the first exam I passed completely useless and a waste of money? If I fail an exam how long do I have to wait before I can take it again? Does anyone know the exact day in February that the 2006 exams are going offline?

EDIT: Someone posted in another thread that Feb 28th is the day the 2006 exams are being removed. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hiya, as far as I know you need to let the exam centre know if you are in need of cancelling your exam, so I wouldn't recommend taking them both the same day, why not do one then book one two days after and if you don't pass the first cancel the second? Just an idea. If the 2006 is being taken offline in Feb you have nearly 3 monthes which is plently in my opinion, so maybe you should cram in a few more hours a day, good luck though!

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  3. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

Yeah that's probably a better idea. The closest testing center is a 50 minute drive away at 52Km (32 MPh), so I was trying to avoid driving back and forth twice (especially during the winter season).

However if I fail the first exam and can still take the second exam, I may just book two exams for the same day. Although I wonder if I am even ready for the second exam if I fail the first one..

I'm assuming I will pass.. I'm just paranoid about the "WHAT IF". Biggest trouble ATM is remembering all the numbers.. How many pins does that connector have and how many firewire devices can be daisy-chained together etc.... and of course the many many abbreviations. Do the exams use many abbreviations or do they use the full word usually??

4. beaumontdvd

Is this your first exam? If so what exam number are you taking? Just revise overly hard and then you will pass both on the same day, I personally read it over and over again on parts I dont understand. Im studying for my mcse and judging by my past experience on exams, If I was you I would find some mock questions on the internet so you get a feel of what the q's are like, as there not just the information you have studied, its the info put into practice in the computing environment, ive studied for my 272 everyday 9-5 then sometimes 5-9 aswell on and off for a week and I feel ready but whatever you do dont go with computrain :(!

I think driving there and back twice when you know yor prepared is better than driving there and failing one and needing to pay the £88 again, also if you fail the first it will nock your confidence for the second. But if you put the work in you will pass mate! good luck!

5. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

Yeah first Exam.. I am taking 220-601 (Essentials) and 220-602 (IT Tech).

Thanks for the encouragement!

I definitely think I should pass considering all the studying I have done.

-I first started off by watching all the professor Meser online videos
    -Then I read Mike Meyer's A+ Passport book and wrote down notes on everything (have a huge stack of notes)
    -Now I am reading Mike Meyer's A+ All-In-One however I'm not taking notes.

Once I read through the All-In-One I'm going to do all the practice questions I can and then any area I do bad on I am going to re-read that section through in the All-In-One and take notes.

I have all the practice questions that came with both the AIO book and the passport book as well as another book called Exam Cram that is full of nothing but practice questions.

As I said with all the studying I have done I'm pretty sure I will pass. I've gone through a few practice exams and ended with pretty good results.

6. beaumontdvd

You will be fine then, I think everyones the same with their first exam (I was) Just keep revising upto your exam, how long have you been studying for both?

Regards,

7. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

Well... You could say as a hobby.. for the past 2 years...

Seriously studying and taking notes... About 2 or 3 months

Studying for both exams as if it was just one big one considering they are about the same thing.
    I have read that the first one is more about facts and knowledge where as the second exam is more about hands on and troubleshooting.

8. beaumontdvd

Im thinking of doing that exam, let me know how you get on, good luck!

9. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

Thanks... Good luck to you on your future exams.

BTW whats this 071-271 certificate you have? I did a google search on it but didn't find anything.

EDIT: Is it IBM?

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I can't see anything on the CompTIA website that says you must pass one exam before you can sit the other, you just need to pass both to be certified.

Test centres ususally require 24hrs notice to cancel an exam without penalty, so I'd talk through your plans with them in advance.

There's probably no reason why you couldn't do both in a day. Usually I'd advise against two exams in one day, but the two A+ exams are both fairly similar you you don't have to get your head around two completely different subjects.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Keep guessing.

He might mean 70-271...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. beaumontdvd

Yeah 070-271 sorry wrote it wrong,

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can take any of the exams in any order you want whenever you want.

if you fail you can take again anytime you want (I think) but if you happen to fail 3 times in a row you have to wait 3 months before you can try again.

THe A+ changes to the new one in august in the uk (look on compTIAs website) and feb in the US and Canada.

And you have to pass the essentials and one other to be certified and get a certificate and your little card that says your cool.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Why do you have to do the whole drive at 32mph? weird speed limit :p

CompTIA exams are a little more than £88 (~£135 without vouchers) but the point still stands, there is no reason why you couldn't do both A+ exams in one day as there is a lot of overlap between them but I'd advise against it. Certainly from my experience my brain was pretty much mush by the end of one exam which made me really glad I'd split them up!

It sounds like your study plan has been fairly comprehensive though, so good luck to you!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I have passed 601 2 months ago, than 602 a month ago. For me 601 was much easier than the 602. The questions are changing, so you never know, but i think if you would fail the 601 than you would fail the 602 as well. I gave myself a month break, and i would do it again the same way. (my test center is about 10 minutes away, so that is a different story).
    Good luck!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  16. danpluso

danpluso Bit Poster

LOL, I should of typed down Miles I guess.... Was just trying to convert the distance for you Americans. The speed limit is actually 110KM/H (so about 68 MPH) as it is a highway to the neighboring city. Still takes about 40-50 minutes though when adding the busy city parts and street lights.

lol, a cool card eh? Maybe it will get me into some of the private night clubs around here :D :D

Yeah that's what I was thinking too so I will probably do them different days just to make sure.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys :D

EDIT: Oh man, I almost had a major freak out. The place I was going to take the exams in the other city is no longer listed on the VUE site and the nearest testing center from VUE is 2 hours and 1 hour ferry trip away :O

Last time I checked Prometric there were no testing centers close by either.. Just checked again and they now have a testing center at my local college which is like 15 minutes away. That sure is nice.. Last time I checked with Prometric was like a month ago and they didn't have anything that didn't involve a 2 hour drive and 1 hour ferry trip.

I'm hoping Prometric is going to be alright as I have heard lots of people say they like VUE better.

Anyone have any reccomendations on where I should buy my vouchers? I'm Canadian so buying from a Canadian site would be preffered for an easier transaction. If there are no good Canadian places to buy them I was thinking of getting them off the Mike Meyer's Site. Is $143.99 per A+ voucher a good buy?

The totalsem site doesn't say if the vouchers are for the 60x or 70x exams... Does it matter? Can it be used for either exam?