Querying about a position at work

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jb87, Dec 9, 2013.

1. jb87

jb87 Bit Poster

I am in my first IT job for 4 years now, and want to progress within the company. I have an idea what area of IT to progress in.

Is it worth composing a speculative email to see if they will have any vacancies in the future, to the head of department or manager responsible for that team/department?

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Why not just speak to them? Emails can be brushed under the carpet and ignored. Harder if you are polite and in your face. Plus it shows you are genuinely interested.

3. jb87

jb87 Bit Poster

I can't speak to them, as that department is based in a different location. Hence, an email will be sent.

Also, them and I haven't met before physically.

Is there a need to send a CV?

4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Presumably, you have your own manager/head of dept. who does not work in another location?

I would approach them first with your ideas. If you don't and just go straight to this 'other dept.' they will almost certainly be contacting your manager about it.

An email from someone they don't know and have never heard of will almost certainly go 'missing'...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. jb87

jb87 Bit Poster

I work in another location, and the area I want to move in, is located 3 miles from the location I am in now.

Why would the other department manager will contact my manager about it?

Basically, it's not a good idea to speculative email regarding future vacancies? So it's a better idea to approach them face to face?

6. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

If it was an external company, then I would say a speculative email would be one of the ways to go, but as you work for the company I personally think it would come across impersonal.

What RichyV says is quite right. How would you think it might go down with your immediate manager if the manager in the other location were to phone him up and say "why is jb87 applying for a job here?" It would look disloyal, and somewhat sneaky provided you haven't talked to your manager about it.

My personal preference here would be to speak to your manager about the opportunity to progress, and if he is fair, then he will put you on the right track. If nothing is forthcoming that way, then at least you can say you didn't go behind his back. I would definitely say face-to-face with the other manager is a way to go. How are the jobs advertised in your company?