Quality Logic

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Jul 24, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've been exchanging e-mails with one of their recruiters and am potentially up for a contract job that would last through the end of September. True, it would mean leaving my more or less secure "day job" but, having discussed it with the wife, we decided that, if they make me an offer, maybe it's just time to jump in and take the risk. Here's the URL for the company in question: http://www.qualitylogic.com and here's the latest e-mail from the recruiter:

The recruiter is going to call me at 9 this morning (yes, it's still morning in my little corner of the world). If they decide to interview and hire me, I could be working as early as next Monday. So much for giving notice to my current employer. I hate that part...but I don't want to blow an opportunity over the issue of a week's notice, either. My current position is as a temp so I have always been in the position of possibly being "blown away" at a moment's notice. Still, it's kind of poor form on my part to not give them fair warning. For some reason, all my IT contract jobs have been short to no notice. Alas.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hope it all goes well for you, Good luck.

Let us know how you get on

P.S. ont worry about your current employer too much, although i know how you feel when it is short notice, it has happened to me before

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Good Luck James

That leap into the dark just might pay off...

I fancy a job delivering the Post !

4. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

Good luck Trip.

After reading so many of your posts here and on the other forum which are always thoughtful and often inspiring.

If anyone deserves a break then you do. Go for it...

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Well Taz has said it all, good luck and keep us posted.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks everyone. As always, things don't seem to go as planned. I thought I had arranged for the recruiter to call me at 9 a.m. yesterday so we could hammer out the details and schedule an interview for Friday morning (today). She's in Oregon...an hour behind me, so that would have her calling me right when she get's to her office at eight.

Well 9 a.m. came and 9 a.m. went. No call. I called her. No answer...I just left a voice mail message asking for a call back. I called twice more and left messages. Nada.

To add insult to injury, I had a very minor incident with the postal vehicle I was driving yesterday. I was trying to back up under a parking overhand at an apartment complex when the arm of the upper, rear mounted mirror (there are mirrors all around the vehicle since the back door blocks off a direct view behind you) came into contact with the aluminum over hang, causing a very minor dent.

The rules say that you call a supervisor in this event, which I did. He came out, all business-like, took many photos, contacted the apartment manager and the lone witness, asked if I was ok to drive and finish the route (I'd already finished one route and was doing part of another). After all this, which set me back at least 30 minutes, I finished the route and limped back into the office to fill out the paperwork with the supervisor.

As a "casual" (temp worker), they can "give me the sack" (if that's the right term) for any type of vehicle accident...no matter how minor. So I've been a nervous wreck since then. The supervisor probably submitted the paper work to the Station Manager this morning by 7 a.m.

Oh...after finally getting off work last night after 7 p.m., I called the recruiter again...she finally answered. She'd accidently left her cell phone in her car. She and her husband had switched cars yesterday so it just sat there collecting messages. She hadn't been able to raise the supervisor for the project to set anything up but would try and call him later, then e-mail me the results. We were shooting for an interview at the start of Friday and, failing that, a phone interview on my lunch break.

I got an e-mail from her this morning. She wasn't able to reach him and asked that I call her later on today to try and make further arrangements. She assured me that the job is still open and will not likely close until the project manager feels he's got the right person on board.

Meanwhile, I called my main supervisor (he's gets in by 6:30 a.m. and leaves mid-afternoon, so he would be unaware of my little mishap) and let him know what was going on. He assured me that he did not believe I would lose my job over something so minor...especially since I had shown honesty by reporting it...and said he would do everything in his power to keep the incident within his direct authority. It's now about a quarter after 9 and I'm set to go into work by 10. That's when the "spit hits the fan", so to speak. Either all will go well, or the "angel of death" will appear to tell me I'm out of work.

Meanwhile, the recruiter doesn't start work officially until 10 my time, so who knows how all this will play out. Yeesh! :eek:

7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Gosh that was an epic!

8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Just Kill yourself now, go jump off a pier

(something i could not do as i cant swim LOL)

Only Joking, Hope everything pans out for the best for you trip, if it doesn't, just remember that everything happens for a reason and something better will come of it all

Keep you chin up mate

:D

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Jeez Trip - this is deff more than just your average day at the office :eek:

After reading all that, my fingers, and anything else to hand, are crossed for you .... :|

Mind you, I've dented a few motors myself at work before - including the first Post Office van they gave me the day I passed my test :P Still, served them right for making me do my test early, so's another Postie could go his holidays, and them upstairs wouldn't have to hire someone else for two weeks :!:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

Everything that can be crossed is crossed for you trip!!

I'm tieing myself up in knots!!!

Let us all know how you go honey!!

Stay cool! xx 8)

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Let's see, where was I? Oh yes. I got to work on Friday and talked to my supervisor Tony. He told me what my job was that day and my response was: "So I take it I still have a job". He told me I had one on Friday, Saturday and Monday, but after that all bets were off. The powers-that-be would decide my fate. Tony said he'd go to bat for me. I was stunned. I figured it would be decided yea or nay right off the bat. Yuk.

So I spent that day on pins and needles, driving around hoping nothing else would happen to me. I had no more e-mails for phone calls from the Quality Logic recruiter so I figured things were still up in the air with that as well.

I got in from delivering that evening and talked to Ken, the late supervisor...the one who did the initial investigation. I made some off handed comment that my fate was still undecided. He told me he knew exactly what my fate was....

and that I'd be staying. Apparently he and Tony made an empassioned plea to the Postmaster himself. Initially the Postmaster wanted me to be canned ("please don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out") but Ken and Tony made a solid argument as to why I should stay. Ken even referred to me as a "quality person". This is a bit surprising since Ken hardly ever goes out of his way to make personal statements (most people think he's a really cold fish...all business...never smiles). I was and am really grateful.

None of this means I wouldn't drop the Postal Service in a heartbeat if the right IT job came along, but it's nice to know that I'm liked among at least some of the higher ups. I've always wanted to leave this job with my head held high and moving on to something better. I was afraid for a time, that I'd end up leaving with my tail between my legs and my head hung low.

This is another reason I believe in faith, mercy, and grace. Thanks for the well wishes, gang.

And Jakamoko...I never have a regular day at the office. :wink:

12. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

Glad all went well at the postie office trip! You're obviously a nice guy in real life as well as in here!!

Still got my fingers crossed for your Quality Logic position!

Keep us posted!

Once again, great news that you kept your job!! :lol:

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Boy, do you not need to prove that, Trip !!!

Excellent news, fella - you may still be stuck in the Post, but at least you're stuck somewhere for now :P

I reckon all our hearts, etc were in our mouths during that tale :P

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Update: I called the recruiter yesterday on my lunch break. I have both her cell and home numbers. I left messages at both. I haven't received any return calls or e-mails since Friday. This bodes ill, I think. So far, I haven't been incredibly impressed with this person as a recruiter. Oh well, the beat goes on. :?

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Another update. I finally got an e-mail back from the recruiter. She says things "got a little hairy" on her end and the project manager was so swamped with work, he didn't have time for interviews. Project's still open. They're thinking of assigning another manager to do the interviews sometime soon. Still in a holding pattern. I'm still applying for other work.

16. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

Everything is still crossed for you Trip....getting a bit difficult to get things done like this...

Good luck and keep us posted n any interview dates etc...or anything else that comes your way! :D