QA Apprenticeships

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by toshiba145, Aug 26, 2010.

1. toshiba145

toshiba145 Nibble Poster

Any one been there before?

They teach you a+, N+ and MCDST and help you finding a job.

I had applied for it through apprenticeships.ork.uk
    and had an interview this morning and got accepted for this course+real work experience for 8months?
    And its free.

Just want to know if anyone used them before

Certifications: A+, CCNA
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I've never heard of them mate but hopefully somebody else on here has.

One thing you may want to look into is do they actually get you certified. A course in itself for free is pretty good but whilst they can 'teach' you the material, you really need to sit the exams to get the most out of it and to show employers that you can.

There are 2 exams each for the A+, one for the Network+ and I believe 2 for the MCDST. When you consider each exam is around £100 or so (higher for A+ and N+) that's over £500.

Don't take this as a "it's not worth it" though. If you've got nothing else on then the work experience and training could be great. Just remember about Certification. It's one thing knowing the material, it's another proving it to prospective employers.

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  3. Shaneo85

Shaneo85 New Member

Can you tell us how the interview went? I'm really interested in applying but I'm 24 and only have 2 GCSE's graded C and above. Did this come up in the interview?

4. toshiba145

toshiba145 Nibble Poster

didnt go as i would like too. But i was still accepted.

They got 2 types of Apprenticeships programmes.

I applied for the microsoft Apprenticeships which is 3weeks study 3 weeks work experience for 8months
    but for some reason they put me in their own Apprenticeships programme which is 6 months study and then 2 months real work experience.

Waiting for their reply about this mess up. will update when i get a reply.

Also if you have been certified in a+ or n+ you will have to do it again with them which will be a good revision.

I am not sure about you as its only for 16-18years.
    Also you should have atleast 5a-c gcses and they will ask you to bring your certificates to prove it.

If you do apply let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  5. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

I did the ITIL v3 Foundation course at QA in Hinckley. Overall I found them to provide an excellent service - the centre was clean and modern, there was plenty of tea, cofee, hot chocolate etc available and we got lunch vouchers to spend at either McDonalds, Morrisons or the local boozer! I'd deffinately use them again.

6. toshiba145

toshiba145 Nibble Poster

did you pay or was it part of apprenticeship

7. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

My employer paid - it wasn't part of an Apprenticeship or anything like that. In fact, I didn't even know QA participated in Apprenticeships until this thread!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  8. Gogs

Gogs Bit Poster

Is it the MCDST they teach? We were discussing QA at work the other day and I was of the understanding that they deliver Windows 7 training i.e. Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.

Certifications: in Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Server Administrator (646) , Security+