PXE boot issues

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Theprof, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Last two days I've been having issues with a remote site that is connected to us by a IPSEC VPN with it's firewall being the DHCP server with a class C network. I am trying to get PXE working but no luck... I've done this many times but for this particular office we have a local DHCP on the same subnet where as the other offices are going through our central DHCP server using options 66/67.

Issues I am having is that when I boot the computer of the network card, I get the MAC address and the GUID but when it gets to DHCP it just times out and I get a PXE-E53: No boot filename received. At first I figured maybe it's not obtaining an IP address but a quick look at the captured packets with the network monitor show otherwise. In the network monitor, I see a DHCP discovery then I see a DHCP offer with a correct class C address however like I mentioned earlier, the client does not show the address as it times out at the DHCP section.

For the firewall I am using a Watchguard X10e which is configured for DHCP. I've tried removing and re-adding the boot images (32 and 64bit) and no luck. There's lots of info on this on the web but I could not find anything that helped me

Any ideas? :oops:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have you configured 66/67 on the DHCP server? In the past I have experienced issues where it will pxe boot to a point but then fail to go further, this was down to no NIC drivers for the pc in the WinPE image (it would start to load the PE image and then fail after the initial boot loader.

Try creating a new PE image with correct drivers inserted.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've added a policy to the firewall to permit ports 66, 67, 68, 69, and 4011... It's a built in DHCP server on the firewall we don't really have a full blown DHCP server on a server OS like we do at the central office. In fact I do use option 66 and 67 for each office, but those offices are connected to our DHCP server through DHCP relay. Doing further investigative work shows that there are no DHCPACK or DHCPNACK broadcasts what so ever... really strange.

Also the central office DHCP is on a class A network where the remote office is on a class C network.

In about a weeks time we're putting that office onto our MPLS network so this issue will get resolved, however I find it strange that having the DHCP on the same subnet as the workstation and experience these issues. Really odd!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA