Putting together a wee website

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Mar 31, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've been noodling around with this idea for a long time and finally decided to give it a whirl. I have a small server/networking appliance that I'm using as a web and mail server. I'm having trouble getting the rest of the world to see my site but hopefully, that'll be solved in the next day or so. In the meantime, I'm posting an attachment of my homepage to give you all an idea of what it looks like stylistically. Cheers. :)

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Looks good to me - but then I'm no stylistic expert!

It also stands out - red seems to be a fairly rare choice for backgound at the moment.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

looks good to me. Don't forget to give us the URL. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Trip - that is a nice looking site you got.

I dont know how deep you wanna go into your ste, but here are dome guideline;

Valid HTML

CSS

Post us the link once you have sorted it out - cheers...

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I like the look so far, Trip. Can we take it from granted that CF might get a mention on your links page ? :tune

j/k - I can't see why you'd tout forums your professional homepage. Good luck with the site :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

8. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

the link worked for me Gav, you know you have to use the mouse and click on it don't you??

:blink

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok...it's up:

http://www.wiredwriter.net

I have a dynamic IP address on the WAN port of my DSL modem and I get a different address each time it reboots. I've been monkeying with the configuration settings for over a day now and finally got it to go. I'll have to fork out the dough for a static IP if I want to have a consistent web presence.

d, the device I'm using to host the site has a built in web tool so I do it all in a wysiwyg. I do like the minimalistic look to it and the red was very eyecatching to me. I also liked the honeycomb effect and after all...it is my first web site. I'm sure everyone out there with more experience could have knocked out a more professional effort. I appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh and Gav...CF figures prominently on my links page. :wink:

10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

What's the matter, d-Faktor? Don't you like Debian red? :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

hey! i resent that remark, buddy!
    still, knowing trip, it's prolly novell red. :twisted:

[edit] by the way, you do know i've got a debian box right here, don't ya? and a freebsd box, and a slackware box. so don't you dare call me a microsoft acolyte. bah! :tune

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Trip, you have no keywords in your meta-tags. Is this deliberate ? We need the world to find you on the web !! :ohmy

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Gee, I thought I had. Wonder how I'd put them in? :oops: Remember, I'm pretty new at this. :wink:

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

All sorted now :wink:

15. ffreeloader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hey, I'd never call a Microsoft shill a Microsoft acolyte.... :twisted:

16. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

ooooo, throwing down the gauntlet, eh? :duel
    well, i'm not picking it up. it wouldn't be fair to you.

17. ffreeloader

LOL. d-Faktor, you're alright. I just can't help but like you.

BTW, I didn't know you ran Debian, but I should have known that if you did run Linux you would be a Debian and/or Slackware user.... 8)

You're just too much of a geek to use Mandriva or Ubuntu. You would want the real thing....

18. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hey Trip sites looking good. I have to admit i like the red and white.. and the Honeycomb adds a nice touch to brake it up a bit...

I would suggest that the sites title be a bit larger.. Wiredwriter.net dosent stand out much and it should!!
    Also im viewing it at 1024x768, ( i know you probably did it in 800x600) what this means is that i get a large red band down the right hand side... can you see if you can find away to make it so the page sits in the middle of this resolution, so theres an even band down both sides? (would just make it look neater than having a 2 inch band down one side)

And finally..... couldnt you use the Certforums banner under the link to it on ya links page??? be nice lol

But in all honesty for a 1st site i'd say its looking great.. great effort and a well done!!! now do the CIW course lol.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  19. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

no matter how hard you try to resist, right? :twisted:

yeah well, i may be running debian, slackware and freebsd, but that doesn't mean i'm running them well.
    freebsd i have been using for 6 or 7 years now. i'm using it for the file server (samba) on my home network. slackware i have been using for 5 or 6 years. it's my internal web server (apache, php, etc.) for offline development of web pages. although since my current job requires me to travel a lot, i have installed xampp on my company (windows) laptop so that i can work on things when i'm on route or in a hotel. anyway, both freebsd and slackware i have installed and configured with the tools i need, but other than the occasional upgrade, i don't touch them. so i'm not really using them on a daily basis, and i really don't know that much about them.
    debian i have picked up only recently. i am primarily a windows (+ related) admin, but i am convinced that microsoft already has one foot in the grave. they have a chance of getting out, but i'm not going to wait for that. so i need to diversify, and i need to do it now. so i have started working toward lpi certification, and i am using debian for that purpose.
    so yeah, i have been playing with linux for about 10 years, using it for about 6 years, but i still lack a lot of knowledge and experience.

still sounds like some kind of cms. what device/web tool is it exactly, if you don't mind me asking?
    personally i am looking for a good cms, but i'm having trouble finding one. on my home network i am playing with joomla now. on my live web site i am testing drupal.

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's looking good to me James, better than some professional efforts I have seen. The content is good and that is the most important factor, as far as I am concerned :biggrin

Good luck with it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)