Putting together a little tool box - advice needed !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flamehearted, May 31, 2005.

1. Flamehearted

Flamehearted Nibble Poster

Hi all,

I'm putting together my first tech tool box for use on jobs.

I am going to include a graphics card to help with display problems. Can you use any card for this purpose ? I was going to buy one off of ebay. If you plug a graphics card into a motherboard will it output to the screen without drivers ? Do all graphics cards support VGA ?

Also I want to include a sound card and wondered again if you had any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Martin,

"My first toolkit" it sounds like something you get from the Early learning centre doesn't it :baby

I have recently put some stuff together as the number of jobs is increasing.

So far I have got:

Screwdrivers (pointed and flat) little ones and normal sized ones.
    An ESD strap (Maplin £5)
    Cutters (little ones)
    Small cable ties (for re-organising people's cables that are overheating their CPU :cry: )
    A PSU tester (you can't hold a multimeter in all the holes at the same time - you only have 2 leads :dry )
    Compressed air can and a brand new paintbrush for removing dust from the inside of the tower.
    Some start up disks.

That is about it for now. So far apart from an overheating tower due to about 5 years of dust most jobs are spyware or virus related :eek:

Hope this helps you get started. I think you will find the same as me you build stuff up as you go along.

How are getting on with the Network+

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Flamehearted

Thanks Boyce. The Network + is still only a dream so far !

So how do you deal with virus problems on machines then ? I'm wondering how to do this. My anti-virus software won't fir on a floppy disc and I don't have a cd-r drive. Perhaps I should invest in a flash usb drive ?

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Always keep the latest copy of Stinger handy on jobs. Simple and effective for many situations with virii and general cr@p.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes and don't forget the free anti-virus version of AVG from Grissoft. If your clients don't have an up to date virus solution, you can quickly get them on your side by installing a free one, especially if they have been paying in the past.

I dump all my diagnostic software on a CD and a USB HDD, that way I can usually run Stinger, AVG, Spybot S&D, Adaware etc without connecting their infected box to my network.

It's good to carry a can of foam cleans like Amberclens, so that you can clean the case up and make the box look nice after you have finished working on it.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Flamehearted

Thanks guys.

Thanks esp Jakamoto - that Stinger thing is ace - especially since it fits on a floppy disk !

I'll have a look at spybot as well. I already have the others, although free AV is too big for a floppy. I have the initial version of it on cd rom though although it would probably update for about 56 hours.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

What you will want is a copy of Knoppix (learn enough linux to use it, its a lifesaver of windows systems)

and UBCD

UBCD is well, the Ultimate Boot CD, with tools for all sorts of diagnosis (memtest, memtest+, cputest, burn in tests, vga tests, hdd diagnostics for all major brands, etc, i cant even describe most of whats on the FREE CD! just give it a wirl :)

http://www.knopper.net
    http://ubcd.sf.net (Again, everyone should get this, lol)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes good call Phoenix 8)

I have the UBCD ISO but I am yet to burn a copy that will boot. I use Nero and tend to get frustrated and give up. But I have seen it in action and it is really good.

Knoppix is on my list of must have free downloads, only problem is that it is about 700meg, so I will do it overnight, now that I have ADSL (512k) :)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Flamehearted

Am I right in thinking the UBD does not work with windows XP ? Which makes it a bit useless..... :x

EDIT : Ah my mistake - I'm thiking of the Ultimate Boot Disk that Meyers recommends in his book and is largely crud as far as I can see.

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Trendmicro has a free online virus scan. I think the computer has to have the ability to use java but the thing will scan your computer for viruses over the Internet. I used it when I was installing a new PC for a friend of my wife's. She needed a bunch of files transferred over from her old computer so I wanted to make sure they weren't compromised before the transfer. Works like a charm. Here's the link:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Flamehearted

Yeah that is good - ive used it for years. It does take an age to start on a dial up modem though :(

12. Hello World

Hello World Nibble Poster

WIP: CCNA 1, IT Essentials 1(A+)