Pushed SP2

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Mr.Cheeks, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hey all,

IT recently pushed SP2 for XP through the network? How did they do this so stealthy and quiet without interruption? I thinks that exteremly neat.

System Restore.
    Is the system restore for the computer or just for the account on the lappie where you are restoring it from?

My Stupid Mouse.
    Well for some strange reason my mouse has lost its stroll function and is slow when moving it. I logged in as Admin and put it full speed, and when i logged back in my accounts its still slow. its a ps2 mouse (labtec non-optic), using a ps2 -> usb converter.

I feel like an old man now...

Hmmm..... :rolleyes:

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Since I don't work with you, I would not know the answer to your first question. Ever since Active Directory 1.0 with Windows 2000 domains, it is possible to apply a "Group Policy Object" (GPO) that basically installed software onto computers when they first login to the domain. That is how software such as SP2 was installed "...so stealthy and quiet without interruption." Since I am not experienced, trained or certified in Windows 2003, I can't discuss about GPO application in an Active Directory 2.0 with Windows 2003 environment.

According to Microsoft, "...how to use the System Restore tool to return your computer to a previous working state." Therefore, system restore is for the computer.

Which operating system are you using?

Links:

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Thats what I thought it was pushed by the AD using the GPO...

interesting, Office is asking for an installation cd, and was not asking for this last week. I tried the restore and still is the same thing. I sorted my mouse speed out but the scroll function still does not work. I have been given access to the mouse applet in CP, but cant see anything in there about scrolling.

XP now SP2

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

When testing the scroll function of the mouse, do you have the application that recognizes scrolling as the active window? For example, Internet Explorer? Do you have the pointer located over the active application window? This is important because, when composing this reply, if I have the pointer in the "Message:" section of the reply composition and rolling my scroll wheel makes my reply scroll up and down. If the pointer is outside the "Message:" section of the window, but inside the boundaries of the active Internet Explorer window, then I use the scroll wheel then the whole webpage scrolls up and down. My scroll wheel does nothing if the pointer is located outside the boundaries of the active window.

5. Mr.Cheeks

i have it in the right places, even in a doc file it doesn't scroll...

btw: this office xp error code 1706 - i downloaded the file and im still having trouble, can i do a repair using my own cd rather than works one? or would it ask me to insert a key

6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

Do you have administrator rights on your computer?

7. Mr.Cheeks

No, not on my account. but i have the username and password for the local account on the pc for full admin rights...

i was gonna log into that account and do a repair, but i cant seem to find my office CD.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you tried another mouse? :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Mr.Cheeks

no need mate - the mouse issue is sorted, what i done was: locked my computer (ctrl+alt+del), went to grab a hot chocolate, come back, and the mouse functioned started to work again :blink bloody computers for ya! pain up the a*se.

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

The mouse issue might have been a power problem with USB. This is especially an issue with a lot of Dell's Optiplex and Latitude range - the USB power management is notoriously flaky, I swear I worked somewhere once when my damn scroll wheel would get stuck every time I breathed near it...

As for the SP2 update - it was probably pushed out using WSUS or (if your company's really flush) SMS. Both these technologies allow for seamless patching without the end-user even being aware its taken place. Of course thats not all good - some places have ignored EVERY piece of advice EVER written about patching and just configure their patch servers to chuck everything out the day its released - ALWAYS have a test bed to make sure patching something won't FUBAR your company's apps.

Not that I'd see that as an issue, since your organisation appears to be about a gazillion years behind the rest of civilisation if its only just pushed out SP2 :p

Finally - System Restore is indeed for the computer, not a single account. Of course - if you've had a spyware problem like my brother-in-law a few months back - running everything as the default root admin account, actually figuring out how far back your 'uncorrupted' restore point is can be quite a challenge!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Mr.Cheeks

These guys test the stuff out a few times before they even decide to do a live update, and even then, when its live, its only for a small dept to start with.

Its only the old computers that have not got SP2 on, that was pushed. even then, when i had SP1, i have every critical / major update on the laptop by MS.

And where i am working, the computers security is that tight, its more tighter than a chickens arse! :eek: