Purchasing Server 2k3

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I've currently got two 'machines' running windows server 2003 using an enterprise edition 6 month evaluation version.

I've been considering my options come the end of this 6 month period. The first is to reinstall (an absolute pain i suspect as im going to have to come up with some system that gets the server up and running with the same setup as before as quickly as possible - and ill have to do this every 6 months).

The second is to go and upgrade these to full versions, but im having trouble finding out a cost for this. If i try to search for it i just end up getting confused as to what each product actually is (is it enterprise edition? what're these CAL thingies?). Can anyone tell me where i can find a straight cost for upgrading these two servers to a full version?

I suspect that even ignoring support option option 2 is going to cost me a bloody fortune, something i cant afford. so is there any other options?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Check out Dabs it's approx £1,734.99 inc vat, to my knowledge if you do decide to go down the route of buying it for yourself, it will be cheaper to buy either the standard version or the small business edition, however I believe that you can not downgrade to a lower version.

The CAL's are licences that allow client's to connect to the server legally.

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

W2K3

Cheap as chips!!

Only 1 CAL tho.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think that will be just for the CAL not the full operating system

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yeah, it's not very clear about what it actually is. Would be nice if it was full blown W2K3.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. Kitkatninja

Too bad you don't work in education:

Per MS Server CAL: £1.16 each (per year)*
    Per MS Server (standard): £27.20 (per year)*
    *approx as they can change

That's one of the perks of working in an education environment.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. Kitkatninja

Just had a thought, why don't you take a backup of the AD and your data on the current servers, format the server, re-install the servers, then restore the back-up? It may be a little bit of work, but not as much as starting from scratch and you won't have to buy the software straight away.

-Ken

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Plus it gives you good experience of Disaster Recovery techniques! :biggrin

9. Kitkatninja

Exactly, another check for those studying for the MCSA/E :biggrin

-Ken

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Fergal,

Why not take a look at the Actionpack? For £240 a year, you have access to virtually all MS software (and updates every three months).

This is what i have done for MCSA purposes.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Wouldnt mind doing that myself, but ya got to be in an organisation of some sort, dont ya?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Don't you just love the M$ schools agreement :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Not really.... The idea is that you are going to be using the material to show potential customers, testing etc.

Si

14. Fergal1982

hmmm that seems interesting. although it doesnt do enterprise edition, so i suppose id have to change the version. it give me enough licenses that i could build my whole network easily (10 xp pro sp2 licences), and even exchange so i can (when im so inclined) set up my exchange server.

£240 quid a year. can you pay in installments?

ah wait....it does actually say that students DONT qualify.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep! :biggrin

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

When I was running an eval of Windows 2000 advanced server, I just did an in-place upgrade with the eval CD. Just install it over itself and it will keep all the settings and AD stuff. Not many people know that :twisted:

But if you can wangle it (and I'm sure you can) the Action pack is a must have. You do not need to buy it every year, that's a fallacy. You can buy it when you want to. I wont buy another one until Vista is included because my 10 copies of XP pro are enough for now :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Amen to that.

My ActionPack is a fantastic resource - and I must be one of the few people to actually use it to demonstrate to potential customers ;)

They send you quarterly updates so if you get it today, you'll still get Vista, provided M$ releases it before Q4 2007. Actually, come to think of it, you're probably better off waiting... :twisted:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  19. Fergal1982

so what should i do regarding setting it up then? should i just make up a company name and register it? (you need to be a member of their partners scheme right?)

20. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

So what info do they require from ya then, do i need to be running a business then?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house