1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PUD GNU LINUX

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by mojorisin, Sep 5, 2007.

1. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience with PUD GNU LINUX ? downloaded the iso and burnt to cd as normal booted laptop from it but all i get is a command prop GRUB >

What do i do now ?

Would like to use it on old laptops for purely internet access kind of like a kiosk type setup

Cant seem to find much on it apart from it runs from cd and is very small

over to you linux guru's :biggrin

cheers
    mojo

WIP: 70-685 http://www.speedtest.net/result/3377759783.png
  2. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Try either
    'xinit'
    OR
    'startx'
    (without the 's) to see if you can load a graphical display.

Getting linux to work on laptops is more difficult than for desktops, as the video display properties may depend on a driver that has not been released by your laptop manufacturer for linux. There are other more generic drivers that can be used instead, but may give poor quality display.

I have no specific experience of PUD-linux, but as it is a mini-distro, it may only be released with a small number of possible hardware driver files available.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Hmmm.... Just going to the pud linux site on sourceforge it seems that it is a distro created by Chinese for Chinese, thus most of the gui will be written in Chinese. Do you read Chinese? If not getting a successful install isn't going to do you much good.

http://pud-linux.sourceforge.net/

Click on the screen shot in the above link and notice all the window titles. That means menus will also be written in Chinese too.

PS:
    If you want a really small distro for an old laptop you might try DSL(Damn Small Linux). It will probably have better hardware compatibility, but if you're using a laptop more than 3 or 4 years old your chances of getting in to run under Linux are going to be directly related to your Linux skills: great Linux skills == good chance of making it work.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - surely if it is at the GRUB prompt then it hasn't actualy booted - so xinit won't work?

Here is a fairly nice walkthrough of how to boot when GRUB can't find the correct partition.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I did wonder... but with it being a live CD I wondered if that was the prompt it would go to (never used one, only hard-drive installs.... :oops: )

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

if you click on the EN in the top right of the screen it changes the webpage to English and i had read on one site that it had been converted to English albeit with some slight problems with the grammer conversion

WIP: 70-685 http://www.speedtest.net/result/3377759783.png