Publishing an Application with Windows Installer

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by anto6ik7, Aug 23, 2009.

1. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hi,

I am trying to publish an application using windows installer. So far I have copied .msi file from the server cd to the shared folder. i created the GPO and when i go to edit and choose Software Installation and select New 
    Package I cant publish this package. I have the error saying: "cannot verify path is a network location."

I have attached the capture of the screen. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA
  2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Try using a UNC path to the package, IE, place it in a folder, share the folder, then use the path \\servername\sharedfolder\application.msi.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thank Maria for the reply.

I tried to do this. it still gives me options only assigned or advanced. I cant used published method.Any more thoughts?

Antons

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So this is a different problem to the original one - correct? You are trying to deploy to a computer, not a user - in which case you can't use 'publish'

Regarding your original problem, remember that you are creating a GPO to deploy an application to networked computers - not to your local machine. The computers you're deploying to need to be able to access the install files - hence the need to use a share

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yeap, what Zeb said :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Could you explain me how to use a share? How to create it? Sorry for stupid question.

Antons

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Dude - you are trying to run before you can walk. If you can't create a share, you shouldn't even think about looking at software distribtion. Go back to the earlier chapters and read through them first

8. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

I would think i know how to do it. i did it a while ago. So now i am trying to remember what i knew before and i am learning new things. Could you give me a clue?

Should I read about shared network area?

Thank you

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

There's no point 'giving you a clue'. You need to know it inside out - network shares and NTFS permissions are absolutely fundamental to understanding pretty much any and every aspect of Windows networking. I'm not familiar with whatever study materials you're using - but whatever they are, make sure you spend a lot of your time getting to grips with shares - everything that comes after that will make no sense without understanding the fundamentals

10. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thank you for the advice. I am currently using Sybex.MCSA.MCSE.Windows.XP.Professional.Study.Guide. it covers about windows installer in the beginning of the book. This in the reason i am not very familiar with a share. I will learn in detail about a network sharing.

Thanks again.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Kobem, is that you?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like a downloaded copy. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

I bought ebook. :dry it is cheaper.

14. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You might want to look into Mark Minasi's Windows 2003 book (the "bible" as its often called due to the nearly 2000 pages it has). There's a very descriptive chapter on software deployment and Mark has a way of describing things in a manner that make it very easy to understand (even if there's a little bit of "fluff" thrown in there as well).

Just my two cents...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  15. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Ok, being straight forward now, I would say do the MCDST (instead of the suggestion I made here).

There is no point trying to go for the 70-270, and learning about servers if you need help creating shares. I don't mean to offend you (if you've taken offence), however you really have to nail down the basics before learning more complicated stuff, otherwise when you do go for a real job in IT no one is going to take you seriously.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  16. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hello Ken,

I have already bought 2 books for 70-270. I have done a bit of reading and practising.Ok i do not know about shares yet. What's wrong about just start learning shares for this exam? How should i know that if i did not need it before. Now, i can search the internet or get some more books and learn about shares.

i know it is not going to be the easiest the way of learning difficult material, but it is that makes me interested in learning.

Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate it. As i said before if i can not find a way to continue with this exam i will go for MCDST.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

From where, if you don't mind me asking? You can :dry me all you want, but I've written for Sybex, and to my knowledge, my e-book isn't legally sold at a cost less than the book itself.

Further, I've GOT that book, and that's NOT the name of the e-book file as it is distributed from Sybex. What you've got is the filename that P2P and torrent sites use to illegally share the book. If you did indeed purchase it, then you've likely bought it from someone who sold it illegally - you probably don't have a legal copy.

If you did download it illegally, please, stop stealing what we authors work hard to create. If it's worth using, it's worth buying. Consider it an investment in your career.

You can certainly try to learn it... but I wouldn't recommend it. Would you attempt to learn how to multiply before you learn how to add? Would you attempt to learn subnetting before you understood binary? Or, put more bluntly, would you learn how to fix a PC before you even knew what a PC was? Of course not.

If you plan on doing IT long-term, you REALLY need to learn how to crawl before you walk, and learn how to walk before you run. Without a solid foundation with which to build your knowledge on, the things that you learn won't really mean anything to you without first understanding the basics - you'll essentially be trying to hang pictures when you don't even have a wall to hang them on. So when it comes time to use that knowledge, you won't have a full understanding like you should. That gap in your knowledge could cause you to miss something you ought to have caught... a "career-affecting mistake", if you know what I mean.

In short, you will likely end up further behind or worse off than if you had learned things in the proper order, one step at a time. It's not a race. Go back and get your MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, it's great that your asking questions, but as many others have pointed out you need to start on the easier stuff first.

Stick to learning the Operating System stuff for know, when that makes sense move onto the Server stuff afterwards.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  19. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hello BosonMichael,

Thank you very much for this long explanation. I have decided to listen you and all others. I will go for MCDST firstly. I can always use my notes in further learning.

I need to ask you what book can you recommend? Where I should order this book? How much it will cost? I want to use legal material as i am paying money for it. :dry

Any further recommendations I will really appreciate. :)

20. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thanks Cragie. I will listen everyone. Any recommendations about learning material?:)