Pub Slur

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Boycie, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

"The lounge" is appropriate as it was discussed here!

I recently mentioned inbetween a gallon of beer :biggrin that i was "pulling" 160-180 Kbps from a site.

Someone said it was impossible as my theoretical ( i hope that is right, i am on a gallon now!) 1MB meant 100kbps maximium :eek:

I know this is right but why is my browser saying otherwise?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I download files consistently at over 300 kBps. I have a 3000 kbps cable connection to the internet and if I am downloading a file at 150 kb/s I think it's a very slow site.

When I'm doing Debian installs I use a mirror on the west coast that consistently downloads files at between 375 and 394 kB/s. So, anyone who says you can't download files at between 150 and 160 kbps isn't correct. 1 MB/s is approximately 124 kbps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi Fred,

So, really the browser is giving an "average"?

When "pulling" a Linux app it displays 150 thereabouts!

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I think it is pretty much an average. I won't swear to that as I don't know exactly how they do the calculations, but as I've watched the downloads over the years I'd say it is an overall average for the download.

Just about any download comes in some fits and spurts. If you don't believe that use an ftp client that gives a direct readout of how much has been downloaded, instant readout of file input, and an average speed, and unless you have a connection to nearby server, it is lightly loaded, and there is no congestion between you and it, there will be ups and downs in the speed of the data stream, yet the average doesn't change as quickly as the momentary fluctuations..

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Fred,

Thanks for the reply mato. As usual Crystal :)