PSU question (again)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 9, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I got my new PSU today however the socket and switch are on the opossite sides to the power supply thats failing, they are also different top to bottom ie.the new power supply switch is at bottom on the back of the psu and the socket is above it where as on the old one its the other way around.

Now its been along time since I installed a PSU my question is can I put in the psu anyway I want to fit it?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Can you post a picture, it would help to visualise better what is going on.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee

I will have a go my camera is knackered so I will have to use my phone which isn't very good.

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

im gonna kill u GBL lol...I just this second paid for the exact same PSU as u...:biggrin so dont disappoint me my friend :twisted:

No, seriously tho I think when mine arrives tomorrow I will have no problem putting it in...the Hiper one was very hard to get in...so lets hope this baby can do the trick :biggrin

Let us know how u get on...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. greenbrucelee

here is a pic hopefully you can see what I mean, its the correct size, just the other way around and if I try and make it the same the fan is at the top which isn't a good idea.

6. Pady

Pady Nibble Poster

pop it in, a lot of different companies place the iec sockets in either position.

Certifications: A+, See Sig for HW Certs
    WIP: Network+ & MCP 70-270
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Unusual - but I don't think it matters at all.

At some point I'll have a look at the specs - but I don't think they specify the exact positions.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. greenbrucelee

So it doesn't matter then?

I was concerned that is was the wrong way.

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Oh so thats what u meant? No it dont matter at all mate...I have put some PSUs upside down (if installing at the top of the case) so that the fan is underneath which makes sense...

But with my Antec 900 the PSU goes at the bottom so the fan will be the right way up...at least again in some PSUs thats the case...but no it dont matter...so long as the fan is inside (so to speak) then ur ok...unless ur a modder and u put a hole at bottom or top of ur case...:biggrin

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

GBL, if the PSU has a large 120mm fan in the bottom of it then that needs to be pointing into the case rather than to the top. This will then extraxt the air from the PSu into teh case (odd i know) which in theory should be taken out by the fan in the back of the case. If it goes the other way the airflow will just be pushed against the top of the case not really shifting away from the PSU.

This is the same if your PSU fits in the top or bottom of your case, the fan in it should always face into the case not out of the case. The posisition of teh mains switch and IEC socket on the end is really place at teh manufacturers choice, and unless you also have a fan that end fitted with a fan grill shouldnt matter. PSUs with end fans can sometimes not fit a case as teh cases tend to have cut outs to allow for the fan guard but if the fans in a slightly different posistion they wont fit, ot the IEC socket catches on the end of the case.

I notice it looks like your PSU doesnt have an end fan? so does it only have an extraction fan in one face?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

As already pointed out it doesn't matter which way round the socket and switch are as long as the fan is pointing where it should be.

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

i dont think you can put an ATX PSU in upside down; one of the bottom screws is off-set.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. greenbrucelee

Cheers guys

Its actually got at 140mm fan which will be at the bottom, I was just concerned with it being the other way around with the switch and socket, there are grills in back of the fan which I assume is to regulate airflow.

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

:eek: a 140mm fan? wow! thats going to be good...:biggrin

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

140mm fan?

Is this a PC or a hovercraft? :D

16. greenbrucelee

Yep, I have heard of people (in reviews) with the same PSU actually having upto 4 degrees cooler and GPU on the CPU after installing this PSU thats why I decided to get it

Well I haven't got time to install it until Friday after tea, so Noleg might find out, if we have the first ever hover PC :D