PSU on the way out?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hkymre, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

When you say plugged it in wrong i take it the ATX plug didn't go in all the way as the mobo would have gone boom.....

All's well that ends well.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Could be overheating, go into the BIOS and check the temperature. I would also check to see that all the connections are ok (Chip Creep). I don't think it will be a RAM or CPU problem unless heat has screwed them.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Can you clarify whether it is working now or not please :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

Sorry, would have replied early but being playing Civ for the last few hours :biggrin

It's all Ok now - cleaned the insides, tidied the cables and made a few backups as well.

Seems a lot quieter as well - the old psu must have been getting noisy towards the end.

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah good, glad you are up and playing again :biggrin

6. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

Been having more PSU issues. Got a new one today

Pretty certain it's the mobo causing the problems - the Aopen software is showing the +12v rail running at 13v+

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, I wouldn't necessarily believe the Aopen software as being 100% accurate in measuring voltage. I also wouldn't have thought that 1 excess volt would cause a big problem. Having said that, as it's been fine since January and now it's playing silly buggers again 10months later, my guess is the PSU has gone belly up again.

Have you tried the new PSU yet? :rolleyes:

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree on the voltage reading - use a decent DVM to check it. I've seen quite a few errors on 'software' readings.

And - IMHO - 12V is normaly used for drive motors and the like - having it a tad high isn't usualy the end of the world. It certainly isn't as critical as the voltages supplied to the processor.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+