PSU calculators

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cockles, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi

Does anyone know any good online PC power calulators?

I have found these two, which are giving me a reasonably close answer, but was looking for a 3rd, 4th and 5th opinion.

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_supply_calculator.php
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

According to these, the 550W power supply I have just bought and installed is pointless, not only am I using no where near that power, but (and I know this is my fault) it doesn't have enough Maxor connectors, so I can run my hard and optical drives, but none of my internal fans. Buggeration!!!!!

As always, thanks

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i think these should be used as a guideline.

3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Cool, I've just bought a new video card so was worried about the power consumption with that and bought the PSU with it, think I've gone a bit overkill though

One thing I have learnt, don't buy cheap generic PSUs, waste of time

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

dont buy cheap anything thats essential, buy what you can afford.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If your new PSU is rated at 550 Watts and the load from your devices is much less than 550 Watts then that is a good situation, not bad. It means your PSU will not be running at or near it's maximun power output. Hence it is far more likely to be reliable over a longer period of time. You have not wasted your money, you have made a good purchase, well apart from the lack of fan plugs. Maybe there is an expansion connector which can increase the number of plugs to suit your situation.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cockles,

Sounds like you need an adapter;
    the fans take very little power, so add as many as you need.

As for Calculators, I have seen a few (including yours) who all give the same output.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Modern PC power supplies are switched systems, meaning they will draw what they need not constantly there max rated output and they often fall into the 85% percentile on efficiancy

as for the molex connectors for your fans, i dont think anyone dedicates individual molex to each fan, its awaste of connectors, as fans draw such little current you can stack these up, i have about 4 fans plugged into one chain

hope that helps, my new PSU is going to be a staggering 700+ watts to power everything!, those new GeForce 8800s draw over 405w each under heavy load!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Or you can get those inline molex adapters that allow you to plumb a fan into a molex connector that is being used. I don't know where you'd pick them up from but mine came with my fans.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270