Proxy Server, ISA or Squid?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by oush, Jun 29, 2009.

1. oush

oush Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I need to configure a proxy server, but im not quite sure which software to go with. Windows ISA or Squid Proxy? There wont be many users on it, maximum of 10 users but for a while there will be only 5 users connected. If i do go with Squid would Debian be a good OS to go with? Is there any other good alternatives apart from ISA or Squid?

Thanks

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

With that many users ISA would be a big ol' PITA - and very expensive - to set up. Squid FTW. Pretty much any Linux distro can be used, it just depends which one you;re most comfortable with. personally speaking I like Ubuntu because its ridiculously easy to use - but I've seen Squid run very well on CentOS, Debian, RH - anything really.

See if this helps swing your mind toward using Ubuntu (it's written for 7.04, but any changes between releases would be minimal and easy to figure out).

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Tieken

Tieken Bit Poster

I totally agree with Zeb. Even though ISA is more comfortable in terms of seemless integration with M$ Active Directory, having a set of reports etc, your company is unlikely to be in desperate need of these conveniences. But what perhaps really matters in your situation (~10 users), is $$$.

By the way, SQUID can support nearly all these features (including authenticating users against AD), but you'll have to spend a little bit more time to set up all of them, especially as far as reports are concerned (some knowledge of Perl or other script languages will be a must).

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Werd.

Check this out for some nifty Squid scripts

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. oush

oush Byte Poster

Thanks lads, I think ill go with Squid + Debian (5.0) Thanks again lads!!!

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP