Proxy pop-up issue

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Arroryn, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I wasn't sure where else to put this (wonderful) query so this poor forum gets it.

We have a user who frequently gets a pop-up requesting proxy authentication when she's browsing the internet.

She's a member of all the correct groups required for internet access in AD, and her colleagues around her in the same office don't get this problem. They all go through the same proxy server (though we have tried her on our backup proxy for completeness and the issue still occurs).

- We have swapped her device
    - We have re-created her profile (which isn't roaming anyway)
    - We have changed her NT account (not renamed, but given her an entirely new one)

The new NT account tested okay for 24 hours (tested by IT), but the testing was done without her Exchange mailbox added on. When we tagged on the Exchange mailbox, the pop-up re-appeared when she was browsing.

The original NT user account had an 11 character length, and her primary SMTP address was the same as her NT login (though I don't think or see any reason why Exchange in any form would be the culprit?)

We are really stumped now as to what might be the problem - any ideas? Her group memberships on the proxy, in AD, her internet settings, all match those of "working" users.

Halp!?

EDIT: the user has XP Professional SP2, and uses IE6. Upgrading to IE7 is not an option for us, though she has been tested on an IE7 machine (in IT) and the issue carries around.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Have you been through and checked all the usual suspects?

- IE6 > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings
    - Security Settings
    - Advanced Settings

To check that these are the same as another users account who does not get the issues.

Anything in the Event Logs?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Arroryn

Yeah all local IE settings (LAN settings, advanced et al) are configured to a master image. Users do not change these (and we double checked!) :)

I haven't checked her event log tbh - is there a way I can get to these on her PC without actually taking a remote session?

Thanks Craigie :)

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Depending on the security settings you have in place.

Locally, you can just type Eventvwr in the run box or if this does not work, create a cmd shortcut on her desktop. Run as yourself and then type Eventvwr to check the logs.

Alternatively from your machine, right click your 'My Computer' > Manage > Right Click Computer Management (Local) > Connect To Another PC > Enter PCID > Check Event Logs

Let us know what you find.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Arroryn

Hokey I've checked the Event Viewer (waited till user had gone home) there is, unfortunately, nothing useful to speak of. No errors around the times the pop-ups have been reported, no nothing.

More halp! :)

6. danlewis88

danlewis88 Bit Poster

Has the user changed the password recently?
    Might want to go into Control Panel>User Accounts>Advanced>Manage Passwords.
    Or maybe going into cmd and typing "netsh int ip reset reset.log" and then restarting.

WIP: MCDST, MCSE
  7. Arroryn

Users are unable to change their own passwords; it hasn't been changed by IT.

8. danlewis88

danlewis88 Bit Poster

Have to cleared the internet settings? (Cookies, offline files etc)

WIP: MCDST, MCSE
  9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds to me like it's something to do with authentication between the client and the exchange server.

Try the following:-

Inside Outlook...

-> Tools -> Email Accounts -> View or Change Existing -> Change button -> More Settings -> Security Tab -> Choose Kerberos/NTLM authentication for the network security

Also, check the following (less important):-

In the More Settings window -> Connection tab -> Exchange over the internet using HTTP -> Choose NTLM authentication for proxy server connections to the exchange

Afterwards, close Outlook and give it a shot.

Let us know :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Does the issue occour if the User is on another PC?

What Proxy Server are you using? ISA etc?

11. Arroryn

That was eliminated with the brand-spanking new profile.

Just trying your suggestion now Qs :)

Yes, their kit has been fully swapped out with another fresh profile.

Will check on the proxy :tune

12. Arroryn

Hey Qs

Kerberos/NTLM authentication was already selected.

13. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

At what point is the user promted for their credentials... Before IE and Outlook are opened? While Outlook is opened and IE is closed? As soon as IE is launched?

If its happening randomly, then I would try running a report from the proxy device (if it has the capability) to see what URL's the user account is accessing. It might be some kind of automatic update like Java or Adobe.

14. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hmm, you do present us with the best problems eh? - still sounds like authentication settings though.

Check your proxy for the primary method of authentication and make sure that the client has the same method.

It'll be either Outlook or I.E on the users' PC that's causing the problem. See if you can find any inaccuracies - try comparing another users system which does work... (iirc I.E 6 default is NTLM, I.E 7 is Negotiate (Kerberos).

Otherwise, cry.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Weird.

A few Qs...

What version of Outlook?
    Is there any toolbars in IE that might be trying to update over the tinterweb?
    Do you have the preview pane opened in Outlook, perhaps a HTML email is trying to access the web.

If you are still having problems I would exmerge the mailbox, delete the user account and mailbox, copy a account that works (and has similar security group memberships that the user needs) , then log in and set everthing up again. Also keep the existing mailbox as an archive for now and then test.

What proxy are you using btw?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs