Proxy or Router?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Boycie, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Someone has asked me to sort out some kind of common gateway for a house of 5 desktops and 1 laptop not just for a net connection but also maybe to share files and provide some kind of security net kids wise.

Sounds like i might need to set up a Client/server situation :biggrin
    Not sure if they want wireless or wired. I explained wired would be more by the time the labour was paid and consumables.

I would be grateful of some pointers.

All the clients will be XP so i could use Pro as the main server, but what about the internet side of things?
    This "main" PC they would like to act as a proxy, firewall and a file sharer.
    Then it seems that most routers come with 4 LAN ports. I have been looking at Sonicwall
    equipment that seems reasonably priced and security minded.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd go for the wireless option, as it will be easier to implement. And allows them some mobility should they want to move PC's around

Simply let all of the PC's connect to the internet through the Wireless Access Point, as it should provide some firewall, and DHCP services.

For the file sharing, as this is in a home situation I would simply create a share on one of the PC's and let them all access it (through a generic user account).

As for the security, in terms of filtering I think that some wireless DSL routers allow you to specify exactly which addresses you want to access, but I can't remember which brands. Of course you could always just use Internet explorer with it's enhanced security turned on?

8)

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The only problem with using Smoothwall boyce, would be that it is software, and as such would require a host PC to act as a gateway.

Looks like good stuff though! 8)

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Yeh, an old PC with 5 nic's hanging out the back of it!

6. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

get something like a little netgear or linksys wireless access point with built in firewall, 10/100 hub and so forth.. about 50 quid for a dinky little all in one box. Then all you need to do is set up your server...

easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheers for all the input guys! :D

8. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I second the Linksys thing, it's wired/wireless has a good firewall. You can restrict who can use your wireless by only allowing certain MAC addresses, I've got one at home it's bloomin' marvelous.

Linksys 54G is the one, they're about £50, you can get them with a couple of wireless cards bundled in for £60-70 in Currys

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  9. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I would go for a wireless ADSL router as well - Here

If theres lots of data you might consider some network storage. You can also plug a USB printer into this for the whole network - Here

You will have to at least go partly wireless as most ADSL Wifi routers only come with a 4 port switch.

I would just go for 5 Wireless PCI cards and a wirelss usb adaptor for the lappie.

A lot less work than getting the drill out! :)

Neall

WIP: A+